Installing front header and squash pipe

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

Installing front header and squash pipe

Post by doc308 »

I had to remove the heads from my '50 and , upon reinstallation, need to reinstall the front header. When I originally installed the pipes, I had to lift the front of the engine a bit to fit the header into place with the squash pipe. That was when the oil lines, primary , etc weren't hooked up yet . Now that the engine is all together and has oil in it, are there any tips to getting the pipe back on, without lifting the engine? Of course, I could fit the pipe in before I torque the head down, but I'm afraid that that might interfere with the proper mating of the cylinder/head surfaces. Am I worrying too much about that and are there and tricks to use regarding the reinstallatin of this pipe ?
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Re: Installing front header and squash pipe

Post by Pomike »

I think you can do it if you just try different angles. On my '65 I had the same question, but by luck and trying more than once discovered it could be done. Leave the header loose, and slide the squish pipe in and under the engine in place, from the side. What a relief it is! Good luck. Mike
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: Installing front header and squash pipe

Post by steve_wood »

Like Mike said, it can be done. On mine, I find that there is one and only one way to slip it in. I push the front of the squish pipe in place and then push on the rear of the pipe and it just barely slides in there.

Takes a little patience.....

Return to “Exhaust”