Squish Pipe: where to get

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Squish Pipe: where to get

Post by steve_wood »

Anybody know where I can get a stock squish pipe? I have two repops and neither of them fit - I can get the hole in the bracket to line up with the hole in the frame.

steve
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Re: Squish Pipe

Post by panz4ever »

Have you tried www.denniscorso.com. Bought a couple of items from them with no fitment problem. Haven't bought any exhaust stuff though. Seems like everyone has issues and fitment problems with Taiwan Ted, J&P, and even Pauchgo stuff. Maybe give Bills Custom Cycles a call and see if they have OEM on hand
HD48FL
Bikes: Yep

Post by HD48FL »

panz4ever wrote:Have you tried http://www.denniscorso.com. Maybe give Bills Custom Cycles a call and see if they have OEM on hand
Add this to your search:

http://www.fabercycle.com/
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

Thanks guys. I'll see what they have....
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Are you replacing what you think is an OEM pipe, or is this the first time you've tried to fit up the pipes? The reason I ask is that many well used frames have had that tab replaced. I have an uncut 69 frame , and I have had two s pipes (both from J&P) over the last 15 years line up perfect. On the other hand I've got a cut 64 frame, and this tab is missing. I can see someone replacing this tab at some point in the frames life and not position it correctly. Wouldn't take much to screw it up.
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Yours is not an uncommon problem. If you request it. Dennis Corso will send you a unfinished pipe with out the bracket attached. You can mock up where you want the bracket attached and send everything back to him and he will then weld the bracket on at the location of your choosing, and chrome it up and send it back to you.
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

The frame looks to me like an uncut stock 1956 frame. The bracket supports the brake cross-shaft and it has a little ear on the front for attaching the S-pipe bracket and the brake switch.

The S-pipe is aftermarket, and so is the front header. I'm starting to think that the problem may be related to the header and not the S-pipe. Corso's list shows different systems for (48 to 57) and (58 to 65) whereas J&P describes my S-pipe and header as 48 to 65.

Anybody know what changed from 57 to 58?

I'm watching some partial sets on Flea-bay. If I get them cheap I might be able to at least learn a bit more about the fitment.

I'm not sure that mocking up a pipe at this point will work. With the front header in what looks to be the correct position (fitting on the head), the bracket is about 1" away from the frame.....
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Steve, Be sure to have all yours exhaust parts on hand and loosely fitted including the clamps, before deciding to alter any of them. Just a small amount of movement of your front header will make a big difference as to how all the other pieces fit up. It can take some time to get all four pieces to work together. Good Luck
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

1958 was the first Duo-Glide. Different Frame.
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

Awander:

Yes, I know it's a different frame, but what is the difference in the exhaust parts?
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

Ah ha !

Should've checked the bible I guess....

The only difference is the Y-Pipe. 1941 to 1957 it's 10.5 inches. 1958 to 1964 it's 16.5 inches. 1965 the squish pipe and the y-pipe are one unit.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

The 48 to 57 "Y" pipe is longer and has no offset to help the cigar muffler clear the lower frame tube, so if that pipe is used the muffler must be mounted further back behind that frame tube. Normally the muffler would be right behind the tranny. So stick with the 48-57. In other words, don't buy from Paughco or JP...Mike

Return to “Exhaust”