Superior / Dixie / NOS Exhaust Pipes

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Superior / Dixie / NOS Exhaust Pipes

Post by Hauula Pan »

I read the posts about the problems with V-Twin's and Dennis Corso's pipes not fitting and in them there was reference to Superior and Dixie and comments that they fit together and had the correct angles. I have not been able to locate a WEB Site or address for either, Superior or Dixie. Can anyone tell me how to contact them? Also I noticed NOS sells some but they are also Reproduction and do not say who actually makes them. Does anyone know who makes the ones NOS sells and if they fit? Finally I noticed that Plumber mentioned he bought a set from Dixie and was wondering how they fit? So Plumber if you read this, how'd it go & got any pics? Thanks.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Superior / Dixie / NOS Exhaust Pipes

Post by Cotten »

HP!

Dixie is wholesale only.

Your local independent dealer will have to register with them, if they haven't already.

....Cotten
62duoglide

Post by 62duoglide »

What about Paughco?

Is their stuff made in the USA? Does anybody have experience with their exhaust systems?

I have to replace mine, currently a 2 into 1 with a turnout, and I'm not sure of exactly how I want to go. I do like the shorter systems that stop relatively close to the axle. I'll check out the instructions and try to add a picture.

Thanks.
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

My local dealer was not familiar with the Names Superior or Dixie so what I need to find out is just Who and Where they are so he can contact them. From the previous posts on the subject of exhaust these 2 seem to be the ones that work without having to do a lot of re-work to get things to fit and line up. So I'd really appreciate if you can provide more info. on who and where they are. As for the Paughco pipes, I have not tried their 3 or 4 piece sets and don't know how they fit. I have used their Shotguns and they fit really well. The front pipe, squash pipe and short slash cut lower all lined up & fit with no problem. Of course with the Shotguns the rear is separate so there is no Y pipe or muffler. Several Years ago I ran a set of their Drags and they fit too. As far as Stock 4 piece sets go I don't know and was wondering about them too as well as Custom Chrome. But I have not heard anything good or bad about Paughco, CCI or NOS. and only know about Superior and Dixie from the posts I read here.
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

Dixie distributing is in Ohio-Springfield I believe and has been around since christ was a corporal.Remember the ads in popular mechanics 40 years ago?"Harley Davidson engine complete with carburator and generator 79.95".Well,that was Dixie and Triangle surplus out of Chicago.No,they dont have any left but Dixie is still around.Superior Was\is an aftermarket parts distributor andIME their parts arent any better or worse than any of the other stuff out there.Paughco is in my experience some of the best aftermarket stuff around probably because Ron Paugh owns it and NOT the Poo dung slope machine works.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Dixie Distributing Company Inc.
200 W High St., Springfield, OH 45506, United States
(937)322-0033, (937)322-0034 fax

Raw pipes as as well plated are available;

Paughco's pipes are high quality, but of 'custom' conformity, and visually quite different from the originals.

I believe only Corso's will have the proper rivets upon the "S" pipe bracket.

....Cotten
Attachments
Courtesy of Jeff Diamond
Courtesy of Jeff Diamond
dixie4.jpg (22.99 KiB) Viewed 9286 times
Last edited by Cotten on Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Superior is Dixie's retail operation and is limited to the products available from their website. You can't beat them for cheap batteries. When you order stuff from Superior you will also see the Dixie information on the return address label. As Cotten mentioned, Dixie is wholesale only and does not sell directly to the public.

mike

http://www.superior-cycle.com/
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

I have used/installed several sets of Paughco 2 into 1 Panhead pipes. You can expect several hours of tweakage prior to final assembly. The exhaust port ends need to have extra slots cut into them to allow the end to compress onto the port spigot.
The rear pipe has a tendency to 'fall' down too far into the S pipe, other times it won't go in at all without sanding the S pipe.
All the pipes are subject to being slightly out of round. Fix this by using large sockets to tap the pipe round again.
VPH-D
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

You can get the 4-piece Dixie exhaust at Kick-Start M/C Parts (616) 245-8991 (EST).
Naturally, none of the 4-piece exhaust from different manufacturers can be inter-changed.
The Dennis Corso pipes appear to fit with OEM frames. http://denniscorso.com
The Dixie/Superior pipes seem to fit more repop and OEM frames, but call Kick-Start to see what they have in stock. I bought a Dixie 10-1/2" "Y" pipe for one with less "kick" but it wouldn't match up with the Corso pipes. My Corso "Y" had too much kick in it for my 1997 era V-Twin '55-57 frame. It's a crap shoot with these exhaust pipes. Look carefully at my efforts to see if any symptoms are duplicated with your fitment installations. http://flatheadpower.com/tech/viewtopic ... 5&start=20
You can order the Corso "Flat" pipe and frame bracket un-welded and un chromed. You might find that fitting your 4-piece exhaust together on the machine first, will allow you to place-mark a position for the frame bracket of the "flat" pipe. Then send the marked pipe and loose bracket back to Corso for bracket welding and chroming. - VT (der Plumber)

Both of the url's above and below will take you to the Flatheadpower Tech Talk site. The 4-Piece Exhaust and thie article below are both on page 2 of the Panhead section.
Check out how many hits the "59 FL in Rigid V-Twin Frame, Exh., Volt. Reg. and Oil Filtere" has received :!: Looks like a lot of people would like to get rid of the 32E problems. http://flatheadpower.com/tech/viewtopic ... 2&start=80
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

Thanks for the info. on who I can get the Dixie pipes from. From all the posts I've read on the subject they appear to be the ones that have the best chance of fitting with the V-Twin frame. Time to roll the dice...
bbhf
Bikes: 1952 panhead

Post by bbhf »

i got these pipes from a guy on ebay and took a few pics to let you see how they fit: the pipes are claimed to be superior nos: i first put hem on to see how they would fit: it was clear that some surgery was in order: i cut half an inch off the rear pipe to shorten it: i then noticed that the tab on the squish pipe was holding the pipes outward not letting them in to clear the brake lever: i cut off the tab: this plus another quarter inch off the rear pipe allowed every thing to get tucked in to clear the brake lever: while the pipes appear to be close i don't think that they are in the bells on the squish pipe as far as they should be: they are rather shallow: i will weld a tab back on the squish pipe when i think all is lined up: i do not have a muffler yet: take a look at the pics and let me know what you think: bbhf
Attachments
IM001325.JPG
IM001325.JPG (134.33 KiB) Viewed 9152 times
IM001324.JPG
IM001324.JPG (111.62 KiB) Viewed 9152 times
IM001323.JPG
IM001323.JPG (126.85 KiB) Viewed 9151 times
IM001322.JPG
IM001322.JPG (104 KiB) Viewed 9151 times
IM001321.JPG
IM001321.JPG (138.58 KiB) Viewed 9151 times
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Yep, those are the Superior/Dixie. You can tell by the actual bell-hub on the "Y" pipe. You should get a muffler before you make any more adjustments. Which muffler are you going to get? The OE (24") long cigar or the '58 (true-dual) [22"] muffler? Doesn't matter for fitment, only just for "look". But, once you hang the muffler you may find that because the "Y" pipe tail piece is almost horizontal, that adding the muffler will allow you to bring the "Y" hub up on the rear header more and seat deeper in the hub.
I have those two pics of the long muffler and shorter muffler installed. Check it out before you buy the honking-long 24" one. IMO, me no like the original and perfer the shorter '58 one.
Allow this much swing clearance for the brake arm. I also removed my squish bracket and re-welded and chromed it. Corso pipes here. See how there is no bell hub on the "Y". Corso has a crimp-stop. Pipes fit tight and they're a good product.
You didn't mention anything about the front header not having enough arc to meet up with the squish pipe, so I guess yours fit ok.
What type of frame do you have. OEM? V-Twin?
bbhf
Bikes: 1952 panhead

Post by bbhf »

Frame: bone stock OEM rigid,all tabs, neck lock etc: i hooked up the brake linkage and it just clears: normal?? i would like to see the pipes tuck in a little closer but the rear pipe is hitting the stud on the kick cover: as for a muffler, i may stick with the cigar style: i would like to see the front pipe about an inch longer and then trim to fit: i feel that the pipes are not in the bells very far: what should i do about clamps to bring it all together? should i get a set of Corso's? if i want to run the flex covers how do i secure the pipes to the frame so they won't slip off the heads: mostly the front one: bbhf
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

I agree with VT about not doing any fitting of the pipes until you have the muffle in hand so that you can mock up the entire exhaust system before altering any materials. I would also suggest that the tranny be setting in place while installing the exhaust.

The flex covers just slide over the pipes. The front flex in held in place on top by the bell flange of the front header pipe. The front header pipe is held in place by a clamp attached to the down tube down near where the foot boards are. The lower end of the front flex cover stops at that clamp.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Get the muffler and tackle the other questions later.
Advise to anyone else............Get all the components before you start cutting pipes, etc. The reason, is that everything may look OK with part of the assembly assembled, but when you start adding the other components ..things change. It's easier to cut metal than it is to weld it (pipe section) back on later.
Don't start throwing more money at it yet bbhf. Get the muffler and the clamps (front and rear) first and then tweak the assembly where it needs to be. Yes, paramount to good performance is to have the headers fully seated into the hubs, but like we suggested, try putting you muffler in position first. One part added can change everything. 4-piece exhaust are a challenge. We're here to help.
Keep that end piece you cut off the rear header, you may be welding it back on.

Here's the '50-57 • 24" x 3-1/4" and the '58-64 • 3-1/4 x 22". I'm using the '58-64 on the '55-57 Pan. I think it looks better than stock issue on a rigid frame without looking "not Harley" on the road.
Your choice. Here's what the '58-64 (true-dual) short cigar looks like installed:

2-15-09 Mahalo Hauula. Good trip.
I ran with a couple of his original ideas and a couple of times, like with the neck cup issue
It was an original idea of mbskeams (mike). I rebelled against the suggestion at first - couldn't wrap my mind around the idea that the radius at the cup's bottom transition to stem would need a recess in advance of the radius needing to find an immediate relief within the bevel he was describing. It took me an hour to come around to realizing the bevel was a harbor for the radius to "dock", and anyway nobody likes to be told what to do.
You were able to figure out cleaner, more uniform mod for the neck bevel. That's how the site is suppose to "work".
Yea, the people that post here allow the other guy to win a point every once in awhile too. Check out any other m/c site on the internet. We're the only site that has a running serial of builds going on right now. We're hap. No spam either. The moderators work at that. I bet they get a blizzard of it too.
These Panheads are expensive to build or restore. People building on this site are spending big money on parts and this site is the only resource-build center out there. We get no support to this site from any of the manufacturers that we buy parts from, as far as I know. We do it on our own with donations and whatever banner ads Panhead wrangles.
The people here are core. This place is G-rated and safe. Where's those 3.5 gallon tanks?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Exhaust”