Squish pipe: how to fit

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
harpo55
Inactive member

Squish pipe: how to fit

Post by harpo55 »

My pan came with a set of staight pipes, and I want to install a set of stock 2 into 1 pipes. As near as I can tell I have a stock 58' swingarm frame. I am at a lost as to how the squish pipe or S pipe fits in. Can't find anything that helps in Clymer or Palmers or in the archive. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Harpo
sleeper

Re: Squish pipe: how to fit

Post by sleeper »

Harpo, The original style S=squish pipe goes just ahead of the rear pipe & it's "Y". But you have to wiggle it over the frame & under the cam cover then after the rear & "Y" & Squish are connected you fit in the front pipe. Which on occasion in aftermarket is too short.
I had to weld on a 1/2" inch to a front pipe on a 57 I built. But hopefully yours will fit well.
Now that you know where & how it goes, you should be able to visualize the set-up..

Hope this helps...
harpo55
Inactive member

Post by harpo55 »

Billy-Thanks for your reply. My dilemma is that there is not enough space that I can see between the frame and under the cam cover to feed the pipe from that point forward and the mounting tab on the rear of the pipe is giving me fits trying to fit from the front to the rear. Is intalling from front to rear the right way? Thanks, Harpo
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

I go from rear to front. & it's still a wiggle jiggle tight fit..
But with everything out of the way.
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

Harpo55,
get a bunch of bungee cords too to hold everything together while you are screwing with it...cause you'll need five hands at times.
most times its areal bastard to try and get everything to fit perfectly.........it wont!try and get a happy medium with the straps on then bolt the shit down tight.
There should be enough space right behind the rear brake pivot to slide the squish pipe inbetween the frame and timing case, undo the brake linkage too, to give you space. Haggis
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Haggis is right about needing 5 hands at times.
And Great suggestion about the bungee cords!!
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

Harpo, have you taken off the rear brake foot lever mounting bracket? With the whole brake lever assembly out of the way, you can slide the flattened part of the S pipe under the cam cover. Once it is in place you can assemble the rest of the exhaust system.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Yerp, the brake pedal has to come off, but you can leave the front bolt on the master cyliinder on loose and the master cylinder and forward control plate swings down out of the way...without having to remove the steel brake line m.i.p adapter fitting. Get a new rubber boot too. The boot keeps dirt out and if the boot is split dirt will destroy the cylinder sleeve in short order.

Return to “Exhaust”