Exhaust Pipes

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Exhaust Pipes

Post by Hauula Pan »

I'm looking for advise on where to get new exhaust pipes. I am putting my 1952 FL engine & trans. into a V-Twin 1949 wishbone frame. V-Twin sells the 4 pieces, Front Pipe, Rear Pipe, Flat & Y Pipes. They also sell a Flat-Y combination pipe. Midwest, Paughco, and Custom Chrome all sell similar sets. Most using 3 pieces with the flat & Y as one piece. It is difficult to tell from the descriptions if these 3 piece sets work with frames that have the rear brake cross shaft. Anyone that has used any of these, I'd appreciate your experiences on how they fit. And any other input if you know of another reliable source. I'd sure like to get some that actually fit. Thanks.
joe
Bikes: 1947 Indian Chief
1956 Harley FLH
1985 Harley FLH Shovelhead
1986 Heritage Softail

Re: Exhaust Pipes

Post by joe »

I don't think the three piece system will work for you. I have one and it won't fit on my 56. The problem is the Y pipe. You cannot get the brake cross shaft to fit between the exhaust hangar bracket and the section of pipe that points up to the rear cylinder - at least on the product that I have. Hope this helps.

Joe

P.S. I see a four piece system on ebay for $96, The seller claims it is NOS Superior brand. Anyone have any luck with Superior?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

The flat/"Y" combo pipe will not allow enough clearance for the cigar muffler to hang in it's correct location (right behind the tranny) because it ends to close to the frame. I think that pipe is for 58-65. Mike
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Get the Superior® set or get a 4-piece set from Dixie® (probably the same as Superiors®) from Kick-Start M/C Parts (616) 245-8991 (10-5 EST) I used the ones from V-Twin and had problems with the "Y" pipe angle-up at the pipe, which sent my muffler up at a radical slant.
I've seen the Dixie and they're made well, with a true bell on for the hubs and not just a crimp-stop.
Check out the fitment story here and then decide for yourself.
There's several posts about exhaust pipes on this page:

http://flatheadpower.com/tech/viewtopic ... 5&start=20

And this one on the nuts & bolts of final fitment:

http://flatheadpower.com/tech/viewtopic ... 2&start=80

As soon as I finish running copper tube on our house re-pipe, I'm staying in the shop until my '55 "Repop Special" rolls out onto the sunlight.

Return to “Exhaust”