Anti-seize on exhaust flange bolts

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Anti-seize on exhaust flange bolts

Post by Sidecar »

I have never used anti-sieze compound before. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to use it on the studs or bolts that are threaded into the exhaust flange ? ( I'm talking about the shovel style exhaust flange. )
Do you guys use this stuff ?
Are there different grades for high and low temperatures ?
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Anti-seize on exhaust flange bolts

Post by john HD »

Way good stuff. i use permatex.
There is aluminum and copper style.

john
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Hell, it's mandatory!

...Cotten
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

Cotten, since it's mandatory, as you say, is there a low temp & high temp mixture, or is it one size fits all ?
I just realized I lied earlier. I have used anti-seize on aluminum threads about 15 years ago.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

I am not aware of different temperature ratings, but there will always be something new on the store shelves.
Somehow, they form a dielectric barrier between the dissimilar metals, thus preventing the bolt from galling the casting threads.
Sparkplugs benefit as well, without insulating their heat transfer.
Many shops just cut to the chase and install inserts, even if the aluminum threads haven't boogered...yet.

....Cotten
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

always on spark plugs. like cotten said i have never seen dif heat ratings for the gray stuff.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Yea its an old post ,BUT I gotta tell the newbies getting into the art of restoring old machines!,MUST DEF. use ANTI-SIEZE on threads .The old grey-stuff never failked me or anyone I know of once!-A buddy had a 4-cyl. head sittin outside in the rain threw all seasons/So we took out the plugs,now these were 1 of them heads you dont want to change a plug on way down in there--which turned out good for our experiment!. We put anti-sieze on 1 plug & nothing on the rest!/Well we forgot about it till 1-day coots said Im moving all my sh-- can I get some help? He didnt even have to ask! Well it turns out he said (hey remember this thing?)-I mind you 9 or so years gone by & much to our surprise it was like we left it!,bores-down so all the water & dog-piss & whatever just stayed in a pool that held I would say 2 shotglasses!.And the test was back-on everyplug but 2 didnt crack!----The 1 with plain ol motoroil came out good,--The 1 with the anti-sieze came out like a plug should,He said it felt like as if lt was tourqued on with a wrench! at 12lbs.THE STUFF IS A MUST (as COTTON said)!.----Richie :!:

Return to “Exhaust”