Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

61 pan dual exhaust on 59 ?

Post by neilw »

I have The dual exhaust from a 61 pan I'm wanting to put on a 59.It seems to not line up somehow. Everything is stock .This dual exhaust is the kind used in 60 and 61 and maybe othe years .On the right side the exhaust comes out of the front cyl and a pipe fron the rear cyl.joins it .this rear cyl pipe has a port so the left hand pipe can fit into it .In other words both cylinder exhausts go into this right hand pipe ,but to make it dual exhaust Harley made a little 2 or 3 inch peice of pipe come out of the pipe that is attatched to the rear cyl so that the left side exhaust can curve around the rear of the primary case ,go behind the rear cyl. and hook up with the y in the rer exhaust pipe.
My perdicament is I bought a completly original 1961 pan back in 87 ,not being the meticulous kinda guy ?I had a retired Harley restore it. It while I was waiting for the bubble saddle bags to be refinished it was stolen. I got back most of the parts but not the frame or eng.So I bought a 59 FLH basket case to get the missing parts ,and hired the same HD mechanic to put it together ,he ordered a lot of parts cause I wanted it to look new .after a few months all the parts he ordered were here and he started work on it ,but after bolting the forks and wheels on he got sick and never recovered.(he kicked the bucket) .I have built 4 choppers back in the 70's and always worked on my bikes ,and now I'm retired and dug this bike and parts out of hibernation and put the eng & trans in the frame and oil tank etc. When I tried to fit the exhaust I can't seem to get it to line up .I'm thinking It for sure isn't off the 59 ,but maybe not off the 61 either maybe my mechanic ordered it from antique cycle.They dont show a dual exhaust like this for a 59. I cant see where there would be any difference in frame,eng/trans location or primary ...Is there something I'm missing?
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: 61 pan dual exhaust on 59 ?

Post by john HD »

neil

first off, welcome to the forum!

can you post some photos? it might help explain your problem.

also, the gallery and the knowlege base are searchable data bases, you might find some diagrams or photos showing what a "stock" set up looks like.

if you cannot find an example there i am sure one of the members will help!

john
windweaver
Bikes: 49 HD

Post by windweaver »

welcome to the board. i can't help you ,but i'm sure someone here can. lot's of good people and good help here. pics are always a big help. WW
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

Post by neilw »

Thanks guys, I havn't been working on this bike for a year and a half ,but I'm laid off for the winter ( I hope) and been reading all my parts books and manuals etc. This exhaust is the right one and once I get the bike in where its warm enough to work on I don't think I'm gonna have any trouble.
BTW I didn't realize you had a big help section .Thanks ..
Neil

Return to “Exhaust”