Exhaust System

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Tudelum48
Bikes: 1950 Harley Hydraglide

Exhaust System

Post by Tudelum48 »

Just bought a new exhaust system from Dennis Corso. I'm having trouble getting the front pipe into the flat pipe. Is there a trick to it? Looks like I might have to loosen the motor mounts to get it together?
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Re: Exhaust System

Post by Mark44 »

Tudelum48 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:24 pm Just bought a new exhaust system from Dennis Corso. I'm having trouble getting the front pipe into the flat pipe. Is there a trick to it? Looks like I might have to loosen the motor mounts to get it together?
If the whole system is from the same source, seems like the parts should just fit.

But if they don't, you shouldn't have to loosen the motor mounts. I would use an exhaust pipe expander to open up the end of the flat pipe just enough to get the head pipe started.
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

Unfortunately, even the corso pipes are ill fitting sometimes , you may have to cut a hair off the front header . The S pipe always needs to be tweaked where it mounts to frame . There's a big difference in the diameter of on original S pipe . Get everything lined up and loose before you tighten anything, and make your adjustments. Good luck ,

Adam
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Try wire wheeling the header pipe.
Weedy
Bikes: 61 pan

Post by Weedy »

installed a vtwin system on my mongrel and had a hard time with those pipes. lots of patience and a rubber hammer were required. had to put both on the same time and tried lots of different angles but eventually I won and it went together. good luck. tim

Return to “Exhaust”