Help with 1958 Duo dual exhaust system

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Peter Allan
Bikes: 1958 HD Panhead,

Help with 1958 Duo dual exhaust system

Post by Peter Allan »

Hello there,

The exhaust system on my 1958 Duo doesn't appear to be an original design as it has a one piece pipe that exits the rear cylinder and winds its way down to the muffler.

From parts books and replacement systems on eBay, it appears that a true dual system has a system where the rear pipe exits into a T pipe and it then connects to both the right and left side of the bike. I'm not sure why the rear cylinder exhaust connects to both sides and the front pipe only connects to the right side. I'm sure Harley had their reasons!

I'm looking to have the system as stock as possible, so could the forum members please advise me.

Here is an advert on eBay showing what I believe are the pipes I need to have a stock looking setup.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182020787682? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks in advance

Peter
49bones
Bikes: 1957 FL. Was very original but is now sold.
58 PanShovel

Re: Help with 1958 Duo dual exhaust system

Post by 49bones »

Peter Allan wrote:Hello there,

The exhaust system on my 1958 Duo doesn't appear to be an original design as it has a one piece pipe that exits the rear cylinder and winds its way down to the muffler.

From parts books and replacement systems on eBay, it appears that a true dual system has a system where the rear pipe exits into a T pipe and it then connects to both the right and left side of the bike. I'm not sure why the rear cylinder exhaust connects to both sides and the front pipe only connects to the right side. I'm sure Harley had their reasons!

I'm looking to have the system as stock as possible, so could the forum members please advise me.

Here is an advert on eBay showing what I believe are the pipes I need to have a stock looking setup.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182020787682? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks in advance

Peter
I currently run this set up Peter, goes together alright and the bike tunas alright with it, no idea as to why they set the pipes up this way, to do with balancing or the pulse i guess, not sure, most of the gasses come out of the right side anyway. They were an extra called the deluxe dual pipe, from memory, may be incorrect.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

True duals are correct in '58. Interconnected duals did not appear until the '61 model year. If you do not have a parts book very close to the year of your bike you will not find it very helpful as H-D felt any newer type parts superseded original equipment.
Peter Allan
Bikes: 1958 HD Panhead,

Post by Peter Allan »

Thanks Rubone,

Thats the information I need and have obviously been lacking i.e. not specific enough parts book.

You have saved me some money in now not buying the wrong product.

I'll have a search around for the right parts now, but if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

thank you

Peter
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Here Peter,
This is a scan of the '58 parts book.

exh1.jpg
exh1.jpg (70.75 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
exh2.jpg
exh2.jpg (94.88 KiB) Viewed 2738 times

Return to “Exhaust”