Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
msteuer
Bikes: 64FL
73FLH
76FLH

Exhaust pipe paint

Post by msteuer »

Greetings all;
I have searched this site as well as others in an effort to answer to my question,with no luck. Hopefully someone has the correct answer. I'd like to paint the exhaust pipes on my 1964 FL police panhead. Any help with the color required as welll as wether it would be flat or glossy hi temp would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance; Mike
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Exhaust pipe paint

Post by RUBONE »

Factory Police pipes are silver high heat headers with a black gloss muffler. All H-D mufflers started out as gloss black, they just don't stay that way for long.
msteuer
73FLH
76FLH

Post by msteuer »

Rubone;
My hat is off to you sir. I will be painting by weeks end.
Mike
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Mike,
I recommend using Upol weld #2 primer and Krylon High heat & radiator Special use paint silver.
The primer and paint used on bare metal are a perfect match for Harley exhaust. You do not want to use Harley high heat silver paint.
If for some reason you use a solvent to clean something and it gets onto the exhaust pipes the paint will melt or run off. Not good.
Same goes for painting engine cylinders. Clean and dry is priority before painting. Do it once, do it right.

Jim
msteuer
73FLH
76FLH

Post by msteuer »

Jim;
I appreciate the details you present. I'll rely on your experience with these materials and make my purchase accordingly. I plan on pulling and prepping the pipes Wed. Now to find the correct muffler to replace my repop chromed unit.
Again,thanks.
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Mike, I forgot to tell you. After cleaning, blasting and prepping the pipes, paint the inside of the pipes too.

Jim
msteuer
73FLH
76FLH

Post by msteuer »

On it,thanks.
doc9339
Bikes: 60FL

Post by doc9339 »

I wont bore folks with the practically HUNDREDS of epoxies, paints, primers, high heat paints, etc I have used on exh, and they never last On cars, trucks, MCs, nothing really works or lasts

Hit a local powder coating place. Choose there the color you need, have them CERAMIC COAT. It really is the only way. DRASTICALLY reduces surface temperatures as well.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Ceramic coat, like Jet Hot, and Performance Coatings, M&R Coating,
https://www.header-coatings.com/
and powder coating are two entirely different processes which may or may not be provided by the same vendor. Do not confuse the two. Powder coating is powdered plastic material that is electro-statically applied and then baked at a temperature suitable to melt and flow the plastic, typically around 400 degrees F. It will not hold up to exhaust temps. Ceramic coating is a water based material that can be sprayed with conventional painting equipment, air dried, and then baked at lower temps to cure. It is high heat proof, will not peal or flake off, is very tenacious, and even rust resistant as I have discovered after attempting to repair a dented exhaust pipe.
Both processes require surgical cleanliness to be durable.....
....RooDog....

Return to “Exhaust”