exhaust wrap

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
itsRICH
Bikes: 1948 Panhead chopper kit bike

exhaust wrap

Post by itsRICH »

What is the best method to put on exhaust wrap/pattern to wrap it in? ive put it on before dry, and overlapped by about 50%, ive heard of people soaking it in water.. then applying it, but I also have exhaust wrap pain I would like to use so it doesn't fade
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Re: exhaust wrap

Post by Huck »

I used a bit on mine. 1) protect my mag. 2) protect the oil lines. Dry wrap the pipes to get the length you want, rubber gloves are nice. Set the measured length in a bucket of water. Bind one end of the wrap in a vise then hand over hand the wrap tightly onto the pipe.
Attachments
DSC02024.JPG
DSC02024.JPG (359.06 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
panbagger
Bikes: 52 panhead

Post by panbagger »

when i put mine on, i first soaked the wrap in a bucket of water for at least an hour. Then i started the wrap on the pipe, secured it with tie wire and used the vise to pull the wrap tight. Once it was wrapped and tied and then dried, i painted it with the wrap paint and it looked good. I had to do it a couple of times, because i was wrapping a header and i wanted the raps to match. So i had to calculate where to start the wrap so it would end up even.
Attachments
090402_155246.jpg
090402_155246.jpg (423.7 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
090401_225803.jpg
090401_225803.jpg (150.81 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
090401_225857.jpg
090401_225857.jpg (440.54 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

On using Header wrap!---I have found that -(the newer stuff is better then the stuff we had in the 1980s!--With todays wraps --The Men summed it up well!)--I soak in distilled water!--(Force of habit as the older stuff did not like Chlorine!./Bleach exc.--Soak it over night!--I have found that if you hang to let drip-off for a hour ,Then Twist it for remainder of Water to drop off.-Works nice!.Wrap it starting at the Spigot & overlap it at 3/4s for atleast 3-inches away from Flameball area.--After Half coverage & ALWAYS PULLING TIGHT WHILE WRAPPING IS A MUST DO!.When you get to the point of 6-inches left--Use a Bailing wire & stab it thru on the end!--Continue wrapping until 1-wrap is lleft!--Now Use that last wrap to pull under the previous one!--(That's where the wire helps)-Once thru & overlapped you have 2-choices--Leave the wire & wrap it tight on the overlap--or Cut the wire & REMOVE COMPLETLY!--(I remove it ,Its neater & really wont help anything as THIS METHOD DOES NOT COME LOOSE!.--(If anybody ever built a fishing-pole--You understand this! :wink: ).I should have mentioned to strip all wax off the pipes FIRST!.OK--Now let it sit in the sun for a few hours-(dry to touch,about 2hrs.).--Then Light her up & go for a ride!--(20-miles so its fully hot & Ready for TESTING!--When you get home Check your END-PULL!--It should be hard as steel!& the rest should be uniform & Tight!-As long as you wrapped it CORRECTLY!---I know that todays wraps are EXPENSIVE!--SO don't cut any corners by trying to just overlay the wraps!--3/8s coverage EVERYTIME!-& 3/4s or 75% coverage for the first 3-inches from head.This has been working great on bikes As I tested it yrs. ago on some Pro-Stock Big-Blocks!--So THE HEAT in our twins is nil compared to to the others!--Some Alcohol runners also!& no problems!--These were just Painted HEADERS & WRAPPED!---RESPECTFULLY---Richie

Return to “Exhaust”