Wanted: A little less noise

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
1959Pan

Wanted: A little less noise

Post by 1959Pan »

Hey guys: I have a 2 into 1 on my 59 with a repop fishtail muffler. Problem is I still have a bunch of exhaust noise or at least more than I want. Anyone know of a muffler that will tone down the exhaust noise so I can hear that great Pan music?
Man am I gettin old or what.

1959 HD
1970 Norton Commando
1999 BMW R1100rt
2003 Yamaha FZ1
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Sure. You have a choice. A (65236-58) '58-66, 22" chrome, DCC brand muffler from V-Twin, (30-0220) sugg. retail $128.68 or the same (65236-58) muffler V-Twin brand (30-0282), sugg. retail $66.50. I've run the V-Twin brand as a single exhaust, two-into-one muffler for 10 yrs. and it sounds mellow. If you go by the "getting what you pay for" theory, try the DCC. Maybe it's glass-packed. Let us know how it sounds, whichever one you get.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Anything has got to be better than a fishtail.

.....Cotten
windweaver
Bikes: 49 HD

Post by windweaver »

i like fishtails they will be on mine soon WW
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

1959pan
If you have any exh. leaks , they do make a little more noise, well maybe a lot more noise. I have not been able to keep mine from leaking yet, I keep blowing out any thing I put in there so far.
jellero
Former member

Post by jellero »

using an internal baffle is an option. i put 3" baffles wrapped in fiberglass in my road king fishtails and they sounded good. very solid but not a cracking noise. j
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

If you have any exh. leaks , they do make a little more noise, well maybe a lot more noise. I have not been able to keep mine from leaking yet, I keep blowing out any thing I put in there so far.
Have your tried cutting 1/2" strips of coffee can and inserting them as circular shim stock between the spigot and hub of the header? Worked on mine until I had the heads re-manufactured at Accurate Engineering.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

VT
I have new spigots and they are fine, its the flat pipe and " Y " pipe that are blowing everything out and I haven't tried the shim stock in there ,but will before I buy a new exh. system ( I do need one , it be good & rusty ).
Does anyone use the later mod. one piece system to replace the two piece " Y " & flat pipes ? Will it work on a none elec. swing arm ?
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

I like Paugho mufflers. I've had them on several bikes and they all seem to make a nice mellow sound. I've had coments from a couple of people that like the sound also.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Get the melo-tone sound back. Make people smile when they hear it.

"Loud pipes save lives" is a ridiculous statement.

"Loud pipes annoy people and they just might run you over or force you into a curb to show their displeasure" is more like it. Think about that the next time you're lane splitting on that straight pipe piece-of-sxxt.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Hey!! This is Plumb-halen-ski. Don't log me out man....(belligerently pounds on car hood)...I'm no guest.
p.s. we like da' kine spell-check.. good feature, brah 8)
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I ended up changing to the true dual set up. I like it a lot better. Having the front frame mount on the front header pipe is necessary. Many front header pipes are also about an inch too short to get a good seal in the squish pipe. Adding this inch solved my squish pipe leaks. High heat red silicon on the connections then let them cure overnight before starting it.
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Post by Pantony »

PanPal the red silicone will work for a while but eventually the bonding agents in it will desitigrate and that too will crack and blow out. try hydraulic tubing on a OD grider to make a tubiliar shim

Return to “Exhaust”