Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
flatland
Inactive member
Bikes: 04 RDK
59 FLH

Rear Cyl exhaust pipe bluing

Post by flatland »

Rear cyl exhaust pipe is bluing appox 3 1/2" from the head, running Champion J12YC plugs in front and rear. Front cyl exhaust is not doing it, have heard you can reduce or possibly stop it by going to a colder plug. Does that seem to help ? It's a stroked motor with T&O monster wheels and S&S carb, that's the way it was when I bought it. T&O went through the engine and set it up after another shop butchered it. Haven't road it much over five miles yet due to this stinking weather.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: Rear Cyl exhaust pipe bluing

Post by awander »

A colder plug means that the plug stays colder, NOT that the engine runs colder.

That said, if your plug is running too hot, it may be causing preignition of the fuel/air mix, which could make the engine run hotter, among other things....
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

Hot normally means lean, check the plugs. check your manifold for a vacuum leak. lots of info here on that topic.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

It can also be caused by ignition timing being off. You need to start at the beginning and go over every system, ignition, carburation, etc and make sure they are all set to the basic settings, then fine tune from there. If you don't know how it is set up you can't just start changing things, you need a baseline. And definitely test the intake system for leaks.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

As HUCK mentioned check the color of your plugs!--If rear is white its to lean, or you have a VAC.LEAK!. The Ideal color is tan or cocobrown!,Some guys like to run slightly rich,& therefore the plugs will be a slight BLACK that will wipe-off on your pants!--(FIRST FIND the PROBLEM!) You have to know what you have!-EX. Original heads or aftermarket?--As was said the Vac.leak test is in the K-BASE under (the virtual Indian),you will find how to make-it & how to use it PROPERLY!.---Good-Luck sounds like a nice machine you got there!---RICHIE 8)
chuck 56 pan
Bikes: 1956 FLH, 1969 FL, 2014 RoadKing

Post by chuck 56 pan »

After you get your bike in tune, keep the pipes clean and free from any wax,finger prints or anything else, all those things color the pipes. right before my engine fried, the rear pipe turned color and gave a clue of what was to come, after rebuild I was able to remove most of the color with some auto paint buffing compound I had.
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

Autolite XS 85 is the plug for Panheads, but I doubt the plug is your problem. Mike
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

I was told a long time ago to paint the insides of your clean exhaust pipes with heatproof paint. This is supposed to help deter exhaust pipe discoloration.

Jim
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

james wrote:I was told a long time ago to paint the insides of your clean exhaust pipes with heatproof paint. This is supposed to help deter exhaust pipe discoloration.

Jim
Thats true, it works pretty good, lean condition, heat, is what causes blueing . as everyone stated start with the basics
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

To clean bluing or yellowing on chrome or stainless I use AutoSol from Eastwood. Comes in a tube almost like Semichrome polish. Works well.
Jim
flatland
Inactive member
Bikes: 04 RDK
59 FLH

Post by flatland »

Wanna say thanks for everone[*]
    s input and help on this. A special thanks to 58flh for taking his time and walking me through all the how to's and how nots.
    Ride safe Bro

Return to “Exhaust”