Super E Question

S&S carburetor isues
jank1331
Bikes: 1958 FLH

Super E Question

Post by jank1331 »

I have an S&S super E on my 58, new top end job with about 200 miles on it now. After countless sessions of messing with the adjustments, and trying different jetting, I almost have it to where I want it....I think. My problem is this: After it is warmed up it will idle and accelerate good but when Im at a stop, it seems as if I just barley touch the throttle and it will pop from the carb and die. A little challenging to get a hot start but it will fire back up and ride fine. Its completely intermittent but it will do it every ride. Any ideas on an adjustment that I have missed?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Super E Question

Post by Panacea »

Try lifting the enrichener just a tad when this happens and see if the pop and die goes away, if it does,open up the idle screw another 1/8 turn and try it again. Usually the pop and die is a lean idle circuit. Are the points and condenser good?
jank1331

Post by jank1331 »

Thanks for the input. The points and condenser are new. I will give the enricher lever a try and see what happens. So if I have to change the idle screw setting, my idle will go up. Is there a way to keep my idle the way it is and get rid of the pop?
Thanks
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Post by Ripley/Fla »

I went through similiar issues. Mine ran great once I got it off the idle circuit. Search vacuum leaks. I had my motor rebuilt by a 'big time' West coast guru. Unfortunately he never bothered to leak test the screw in O-Ring adaptors, the rivet hole, or check the S&S manifold for flatness. So, pressure test to be sure.
jank1331

Post by jank1331 »

Dont think there is a leak anywhere but will double check. Thanks
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

Just re-adjust the idle screw to where you like it, The leak test is a very good idea, have you seen the method? Here it is I copied cottons link http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as though you are setting your idle speed with the idle mixture screw.
If so, turn the idle mixture screw out an eighth or so, and increase or decrease your idle speed to where you want it with the idle speed screw.
Repeat if necessary.
If I misunderstood, I apologize.

Regards,
John
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

http://www.sscycle.com/carbquickguide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

So this is a good carb to use instead of a M74?

I have had the good fortune of having one given to me, for use on my upcoming 58 FL engine.

Thanks

George
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

A bit big for a 74, and you won't get more power out of it until you straighten out the jetting (they're shipped a bit rich). The accelerator pump masks any idle jet adjustment, you need one small enough that response with the pump shut off is bad or the mileage will be poor.
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

George, If you have an M74, then I would use it. I ran a S&S for seven years and suffered from hard hot starts. This past year I put a M74 on the same bike and never once suffered a hard start. Never! I also test my manifold for leaks often. It won't matter what carb your using if you have manifold leaks.
Steve
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Thanks for the tips..

Nope, engine don't have a M74, or any carb on it at the present time...just thought since I saw post's here about the S&S, and since it was free.........I thought that I could use it.

Perhaps not such a good idea.

George
jank1331

Post by jank1331 »

Panshovevo wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as though you are setting your idle speed with the idle mixture screw.
If so, turn the idle mixture screw out an eighth or so, and increase or decrease your idle speed to where you want it with the idle speed screw.
Repeat if necessary.
If I misunderstood, I apologize.

Regards,
John
John,
Thanks for the reply. Ive been turning out the mixture screw by 1/8th turns to try and decrease the popping. According to the S&S mannual, a sign that the jetting is to lean is more than 1 1/2 turns out. I currently have a .074 primary with the mixture screw out almost 1 3/4 turns. Its getting harder for cold starts too ( not sure whats up with that ). This seems to be too rich of a setting for a basically stock 74". I havent had the chance to do a pressure test yet, but I am starting to think I have something going on......having to richen it up to this point and still getting a lean pop; air getting in from somewhere? More trials ahead for me.

Thanks for all of the responses,

Steve
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

My Super E came standard with a .062, which made it running and startying good, cold & warm. I now have a .068, which is too rich, so I', going back to .062.

Return to “S&S”