Welding S and S Air Cleaner/Mounting Plate

S&S carburetor isues
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Welding S and S Air Cleaner/Mounting Plate

Post by Ripley/Fla »

Does anyone know what type of 'metal' the backing plate and tear drop air cleaner cover are made of? Is it a die-casting? Can they be welded? Mine is a 1995 Shorty.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: Welding S and S Air Cleaner/Mounting Plate

Post by awander »

I'm pretty sure it is aluminum. I know it can be welded. I know a guy who "reversed" one of them to use it on a 45". The weld job was not pretty, with a lot of holes, but it was solid and airtight-he finished it with body putty and painted it to match the bike.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

it can be welded......
but it is kinda crappy material.
die cast stuff welds, but you do get a bit more porosity and the junk floats to the top of the weld surface
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Post by Ripley/Fla »

The Panhead motor is a work of art. When I look at mine it is hidden by the tanks, the mousetrap, the oil filter, and the 'classical' tear drop shaped air cleaner. My plan is to buy another air cleaner set-up on fleabay - cut and meld them into a round aircleaner. It would still say S and S Super blah, blah, blah, but it would copy the shape of the original. Many moons ago, my first Pan had a small tank, aluminum finned dishpans, no oil filter, and the stock stainless aircleaner. The motor looked like it was too big for the frame! I intend to get some of that back! Thanks for your answers!

Return to “S&S”