Control Wire to S&S Carb

S&S carburetor isues
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Control Wire to S&S Carb

Post by Ohio-Rider »

I'm replacing an old set of after market handlebars with the correct inline speedster bars on the panhead. Should I expect problems connecting the new internal throttle control wire to my S&S carb? Where is a good spot to locate and fasten the control wire housing near the carb? Anything else I haven't thought to ask? :?: -Steve
beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

Re: Control Wire to S&S Carb

Post by beets »

The original HD wire pushes to open the butterfly. You will have to reposition the operating arm 180 degrees on the S&S or the throttle action will be reversed.
tow_truck

Post by tow_truck »

Or you can fit a left-hand twist (timer) on the right side and have a normal pull throttle, which is what I've done. I'm using a CV carb.
Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider »

I've already purchased the "pull" spirals so the throttle and timer will both function as desired. I'm mostly concerned as to whether or not the new solid wire as versus the old flexable cable will give me a problem when I go to connect it to the carb. Pretty damn cold in the garage so I'm trying to have everything figured out before hand so that everything goes as quickly and smooth as possible when I go out to do it.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I also went back to speedster bars on my pan, I used a reverse spiral so it "pulls" the cable. You don't want the old "wire" throttle cable, it wont wind around the linkage correctly on a S&S. I used the cable out of an old throttle cable I used to have on a stock late model CV carb (so it's flexible) I just removed the hard wire and replaced it with the flexible cable and put the adjuster on the carb end instead of the grip end so the lenght can be adjusted....Mike
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

ohio

as far as fastening the cable at the carb end you can use one of the oem brake cable clamps the factory used on handlebars. you could use one to secure the cable to your lower frame backbone tube just ahead of the carb.

someone told me this is what the factory used on pans before '55 when they welded a tab on the frame for this purpose.

there are pics and part numbers of the clamp in this thread http://www.hydra-glide.net/phpBB3/viewt ... f=5&t=4182

there are folks on flea bay selling nice repro ones for about 7 dollars.

john
Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Thanks guys, Thats exactly the info I was in need of. Glad I didn't spend hours trying to get the solid wire to work. That frame tube clamp is a great idea as well. I knew I'd find my ansewers here. -Steve
Scott McKelvey
Bikes: '60 FL chopper in 52 wishbone frame
'63 FL
('67 FLH and Gennie shovel custom)

Post by Scott McKelvey »

fyi: i purchased a '67 w/ B on it, and the solid wire and stock spiral. the previous owner used the stock tab and cable clamp, but put the throttle shaft lever on the opposite side (from the side that's towards the front of the bike to rear of the bike), so what would have been a pull action became a push action. worked fine. they'd just ground a flat on the shaft on the rear side of the shaft. only downside was that the return spring on the on the Super B had to be removed to fit the lever, so you'd have to rely on the one in the handlebars, or rig up something on the forward side of the carb.

ended up changing everything anyways though.
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

Don't know what year you are dealing with or if you are using stock or after market parts. I found out the hard way that with V-Twin's 49-53 bars and spirals there is no Pull option. There is a Pull option for the 36-48 and 54-73. Each has a different style Spiral and Plunger assembly so you can't use the Pull Spiral from one of the other year groups on the 49-53 bars. also the slot in the bars is located in a different spot. I ended up drilling out the welds and pressing the Spiral out of the sleeve. The Spiral groove is cut left to right and to work in the opposite Pull direction needs to be cut right to left. Mailed it to a machinest friend a couple days ago and asked him to make me one cut in the opposite direction. Hopefully he'll come through and I can just press the one he makes into the spiral, re-do the spot welds and be good to go. Hope you have a different set of bars & spirals or know a good machinest.
keiser

Post by keiser »

I ran the solid wire to an S&S B on my 67 for many years. I am planning to go back to the stock carb as I have never been able to get it to work good. You cannot use a return spring on the carb butterfly. You will never be able to open the butterfly all the way unless you make a custom arm for your carb. The stock one moves way to far for the stock wire.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

FOR those who are not using OEM bars & Spirals!--I went to a Shwinn-shop/& had the gut make me up a nice fitting cable That was custom sized to mt set-up!--The Spring-(return )-on a S&S-B & E are VERY STONG & GOOD!--So a push/pull set-up is a waste of time!.& the $20 pricetag was nice!--I gave him an X-tra $10! & said thanks you do not know the headache you saved me!--(it took a half hour & I was putting it on & GONE!---Respectfully---RICHIE!--PS as you know the catalogs are$40 & up & $40 is for the shortest one they make!.

Return to “S&S”