Correct S&S Manifold for '48 Heads

S&S carburetor isues
Poser

Correct S&S Manifold for '48 Heads

Post by Poser »

The S&S conversion manifold for my '48 Pan seems to be too small for the heads. Am I crazy or have I got the wrong one?
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

61" manifold for a 74" motor?
Poser

Post by Poser »

VintageTwin wrote:61" manifold for a 74" motor?
It's a 74 with original stock heads. The threads in the nipple work nicely with the plumber style manifold for the Linkert. I want to change it over to an S&S manifold with o-ring adapters.
wrecks74

S&S O-rings

Post by wrecks74 »

you have to get the kit, two male adapters, intake manafold, O-rings and clamps.
Poser

Re: S&S O-rings

Post by Poser »

wrecks74 wrote:you have to get the kit, two male adapters, intake manafold, O-rings and clamps.
I've got it but the male adapters are pretty loose in the nipples.

Also... What do I do with the rivet holes in the nipple?
54panman
Inactive member

Post by 54panman »

hey do any of those kits come with an"inner gasket/donut" deal., goes inbetween the manifold & spigots in the inside... i had a guy telling me about it he said he used them on his s&s o-ring manifold in conjunction with the outter o-ring to help with mis alignment & leak issues? any one have any clues i cant find anything online or in the dealer catalogs?
Poser

Re: S&S O-rings

Post by Poser »

wrecks74 wrote:you have to get the kit, two male adapters, intake manafold, O-rings and clamps.
The male adapters have an outside diameter of 1.74 and the head nipples have an inside diameter of 1.75. While that doesn't seem like a lot, the threads are loose enough to allow air to pass.

Am I missing something here? Am I supposed to use plumber's tape or some sort of sealer?

I'm stumped.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

plumber's tape or some sort of sealer?
This sealing is a big deal. The rivet seal is a big deal.
I'd suggest contacting headhog first to see if he will make everything okay or accurate engineering and ask them. Don't get into this yourself. Know your limitations. imo. I do, and often.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

The O-ring nipples thread right in to the head after removing the old plumbers type. Mine had three blind holes around the outer circumference that are used to tighten them up. ( I had to make a spanner wrench out of 1/8" steel plate). The o-ring that comes with the nipples is desighned to set against the head and rest in a small chamfered groove in the nipple at the base of the flange. This small o-ring is quite wimpy and when I removed my leaking nipple that was just installed by a Professional, I found it had torn in half and been rendered useless, there was also no sealer used. My remedy was to re-install the nipple without the placebo seal useing steam pipe sealer, and a home made gasket between the nipple flange and the head. Seems to be working well. I think if the existing nipples are not leaking leave them be,if you can devise another solution to your carb problem. Mike
Poser

Post by Poser »

Panacea wrote:The O-ring nipples thread right in to the head after removing the old plumbers type. Mine had three blind holes around the outer circumference that are used to tighten them up. Mike
How close did the threads fit? Was it a close fit or sloppy? Mine has a sloppy fit. I'm beginning to wonder if somebody rethreaded my heads and enlarged them a little.

If that's the case, I will probably pull them and replace them with later model heads. Only the heads and the cases are original at this point anyway.

Thanks for the information.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

If your heads have been buggered for o-ring adapters, you probably have more worms-in-the-can than you can see.

Pressuretesting the inserts would be the first step before you spend any more money.

More heads have been ruined by Colony conversion inserts than any other "bright idea",....although "unleaded seats" are a close second,... together nearly making the breed extinct in the wild.

Good luck. Seriously.

...Cotten
Poser

Post by Poser »

Cotten wrote:If your heads have been buggered for o-ring adapters, you probably have more worms-in-the-can than you can see.

Pressuretesting the inserts would be the first step before you spend any more money.

More heads have been ruined by Colony conversion inserts than any other "bright idea",....although "unleaded seats" are a close second,... together nearly making the breed extinct in the wild.

Good luck. Seriously.

...Cotten
Thanks. The only '48 parts on this bike are the heads and the cases. I've had the heads off before and they were fine. I'll either put the plumber style manifold and the Linkert back on or just replace the heads. I've put 11,000 miles on it with that setup without a problem.

Return to “S&S”