S&S Super B carb. and '49 Pan, STALLS ON IDLE.

S&S carburetor isues
vain
Inactive member

S&S Super B carb. and '49 Pan, STALLS ON IDLE.

Post by vain »

hello once again.

i just finished assembling my 49 pan, and at first it ran great on idle, but now it won't. the spark plugs get very black, and i get the feeling it gets to much fuel. but the idle adjuster is solid and can only be turned so many rounds.

This is a super B carb. with a 87mm main jet.

the machine shoots through the exhaust also. i dissembled the carb. and it was black inside. i can also hear shooting in the carb (backfires??)

could this be my ignition timing, or just a carb problem?

i have only had one test run and it ram smooth, but shot a little then also.

if any one have a few magnificent ideas i would really appreciate it.

thx

Post by Guest »

wooohaaa

i found the problem ( i think ) the floater does not shut the fuel. it overflows.
hopefully this solves my problem. all tough by the sound and behavior of the engine it sounds like it's getting too much air!

funny thing!

would still appreciate some pointers here and there.
Commander47
Inactive member

Post by Commander47 »

the Super B is really a very simple carb. You may want to invest in the adjustable jet that screws in from the bottom.

You didn't say if you had a stroker or cam or special pipes or anything, but the Super B has a jet for all applications.

If the bowl is sticking that is a simple fix.

Other than the jet, and the idel screw, there aren't any other ajustments on the B carb.

Keep in mind that this carb does not have an accelerator pump so you have to keep the rpms kinda high when you take off.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: S&S Super B carb. and '49 Pan, STALLS ON IDLE.

Post by 58flh »

recheck timing,---adj. the float-level for sure,-also double check for vac.leak!---87mm-mainjet is just fine for a stock motor,-should be good to go!--58flh :lol:

Return to “S&S”