Jetting

S&S carburetor isues
old
Bikes: 1960 panhead

Jetting

Post by old »

I have a 1960 panhead that I purchased about 4 months ago. The previous owner had it for about 10 years and rode it less than 50 miles. It is a chopper. The first problem was it had a .25 intermediate jet and ran very ruff. This bike has drag pipes on it and I put a .31 jet in it. It ran much better but not perfect. In first gear and second it goes flat after reaching a certain RPM. Not sure what that RPM. The main jet is a .66. Just wondering what jets would work for this bike.
thanks for any help
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Jetting

Post by RUBONE »

Might help if you identified the make and size of the carb.
old

Post by old »

The carb is a S&S super E. I should have put that down. Thanks for the reply
old

Post by old »

It also has STD heads on it. I already replaced the o rings in the intake manifold which helped me a lot. I was having a lot of problems trying to jet it. Any help would be appreciated.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

OLD----I run a 74-inch pan with a E carb. On the main I run a 70./The plugs are a dark coco brown with some Black soot on the Grounds.I like it a little rich.A 66 is pretty small /Try opening it up to 68 with a reamer or a new jet.Remember the E is kinda big for a pan/Stock that is.With std. heads & a good cam/That 66 should fall flat.You will find that once you are where you need to be /SHUTTING-OFF the Accel-Pump will improve your running.BUT OLNY if you BUBBLE-TESTED the intake & have NO BUBBLES when brushing that soapy water on.I usually shoot for 12lbs. & no bubbles for 10-min.Even a TINY bubble will grow FAST by the day!.--Again Your cam & Arm size will have much to do with your jetting!-----Respectfully---Richie
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Blind Melon
Bikes: 1935 Harley VD

Post by Blind Melon »

Yes! Shutting off the accelerator pump really helps when trying to get the jetting correct.
Also, drag pipes are a drag when dialing in a carburetor.. An old trick I've used for years...
Buy 1 baffle.. The type with church key perforations. Cut the baffle twice near the ends
just to the point where the diameter is shrunk.. Install one each of the end pieces in
your drag pipe near the exist end... Large diameter first...You now have an inversion dam
in each pipe..You still have lots of exhaust "bark" yet your carburetor will be much more
cooperative.........Just a tip........I hope this helps..

Return to “S&S”