carb

S&S carburetor isues
el rojo
Bikes: 1962 Harley

carb

Post by el rojo »

I have an s&s super e carb and there is a small brass nipple on the top sticking up 3/8" or so and had a rubber cap on it. The cap had some cracks in it like the rubber was breaking down and it finally fell off and can't be used again. Anyone know why it is capped and do I have to re cap it so it won't suck air threw it??
Rojo
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: carb

Post by 58flh »

ELROHO----The nipple you speak of is in the top/half of the carb. & not the BOWL!---This is a vent & a clear plastic tube goes on it.Its located near the bottom of top/half of carb.--The olny other things on top are /the enrichener valve,Mixture screw,Accel-pump screw,& throttle cable guides which are brass to.Yes you can cap that nipple off!/As theres a hole for atmosphere in the front of carb. where air-filer screws on.I have mine capped also/No Problems.----Respectfully---Richie
chopped850
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by chopped850 »

He's talking about the VOES port. Yes it will need to be capped off. I just rebuilt my E and it had a rubber cap in it. It's yours if ya want it. I don't need it.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Yea 850!--no vaccum on that motor/I see hes using the teardrop cover & no hypercharger--So yes Cap it off & make-sure its SEALED-GOOD--BECAUSE you will kick your ass off & nothing will happen with a huge vacuum leak like that! Cap it off & use EPOXY on the hole & then press the rubber cap on.I have mine done like that & no problems!-Its thick enuff to not run into the carb.& dries in 5-min.Also you can reverse this with a drill bit if you get another bike & go Linkert on the pan.---Respectfully---Richie
el rojo
Bikes: 1962 Harley

Re:air getting past the intake valve during bubble check

Post by el rojo »

As I had mentioned in a previous post about air getting past the closed intake valve and into the combustion chamber while bubble testing the intake manifold, I pulled every thing back off including the heads and took off the rocker arm covers trying to see why the hell air was getting by and noticed that when I tried to rock the rocker arm for that valve, there was a fair amount of resistance so I am hoping that it was enough resistance to prevent the valve from completing 100% I sent it back to the machine shop who went threw the top end originally and will let ya'll know what the results are when I get her all buttoned up again. I am getting pretty good at tearing this girl down which is probably a good thing.
Rojo :cry:

Return to “S&S”