linkert carb problem

Linkert related issues
61FLHPan
Inactive member
Bikes: 1961FlHPan 73flh@1983lowrider

linkert carb problem

Post by 61FLHPan »

I have aquestion my linkert carb is leaking gas out of the top of the bowl i brough a new gasket kit waiting to come in but on the other hand do ou think it could be the float hitting the side bowl i install one of cotton floats about a year ago
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: linkert carb problem

Post by Cotten »

61FLHPan!

In the instructions that came with your DURABLE float, it describes fileing the pivot nut to allow the lever to compress the foam slightly to secure it, however vibration and sloshing may have loosened it.

(There are at least three different lengths of pivotnuts used over the years.)

Digestive fuels attack most adhesives, but lately I have been suggesting "Pliobond" adhesive for locking the float to the lever, as it shows great resistance to fuel in my tests.

Let us know what you find,

....Cotten
PS: Please remember also that my productions prior to June 2008 used an earlier material subject to swelling in some fuels. I replace any swollen DURABLE with one of the latest material, free of charge upon its return to me.
indianut
Bikes: American

Post by indianut »

Cotten, Googling 'Pliobond' shows several part #'s. Which do you recommend? Thanks
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Indianut!

I just get it off the shelf at the lumberyard across the street, in a 3 oz. bottle, "packaged and marketed by W.J. Ruscoe Co., 483 kenmore Blvd., Akron, OH 44301"

A contact adhesive similar to weatherstrip glue, it remains unchanged and adhered to a submersed etched glass plate in my local P4gas (Shell).
(POR15 wrinkles and falls off overnight.)

But then fuels haven't been so bad the last few years.

Liberty still uses an isocyanate urethane industrial primer to lock the float and screw.

And 61FLHPan!

I forgot to ask, does this overflow occur when you are riding, or after the machine has sat idle?
If the latter, its a petcock problem.

....Cotten
61FLHPan
Inactive member
Bikes: 1961FlHPan 73flh@1983lowrider

Post by 61FLHPan »

it happing when i go to start it i notice the gas around the top of bowl the the carb floads out easy do you think it could be a petcock problem and i didnt use any kind of glue to hold the bowl screw on i will have to find something
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

61FLHPan!

With the petcock securely shut,
loosen the top nut of the fuel line, and pull it carefully off of the petcock's nipple to allow you to watch for a slow drip over time that would indicate that the petcock is not sealing.

There is a good chance that you will want to use the search function for previous discussions of this very common problem.

....Cotten

Return to “Linkert”