More Linkert Questions

Linkert related issues
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

More Linkert Questions

Post by King »

First a big shout out to Yahama Carburator Dip. I soaked my Linkerts for 24 hours and was amazed at how clean they came out. A quick wash in hot soapy water a bit of brush work and they are beauts.

A couple of questions for the Linkert Gurus. How tight should the body seat washer be on the idle neadle? Mine are a bit looser than a slip fit but do not seem to worn or "wallowed-out". Also how critical is it to run the drills through the idle passages? I have blown them out and they all are clear and the idle holes/slots are clean.

King
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: More Linkert Questions

Post by Cotten »

King wrote:First a big shout out to Yahama Carburator Dip. I soaked my Linkerts for 24 hours and was amazed at how clean they came out. A quick wash in hot soapy water a bit of brush work and they are beauts.

A couple of questions for the Linkert Gurus. How tight should the body seat washer be on the idle neadle? Mine are a bit looser than a slip fit but do not seem to worn or "wallowed-out". Also how critical is it to run the drills through the idle passages? I have blown them out and they all are clear and the idle holes/slots are clean.

King
King!

Let me begin by warning that an un-piloted, un-shouldered drill bit should never be applied to any gallery. The damage can be irreversible.
Even the "proper" (term used loosely) tools should only be applied under the most provocative of occasions.

On to the spring collar to needle clearance,
the needle should be .093 and the collar bore orifice is .110 or so (#35 drill). Any visible wear calls for their replacement, although its effect is insignificant compared to leakage beneath the collar.

Occasionally the bottom of the collar is worn,
CLLRWEAR.jpg
but most often the collar's seat in the body often should be dressed flat in order to allow the collar to shift through the arc of the lift lever's movement.
DISHED1.jpg
WELLWEAR.jpg
If the disc is stationary the needle will wear agains the orifice. Most commonly the seat will appear to be unevenly eroded down into the needle well.

Good luck!

....Cotten

I
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

I have a modified (don't know by who) M-51 with a replacement collar.
It's made of hard, white plastic, could be Delrin. The OD is slightly rough as if it were punched or sawed from a sheet of 1mm (.039"). The ID is a clean hole (not worn or egged), but it's .110" or a bit larger.
Delrin is a pretty good load bearing surface (slippery but hard), but is it gas/M85 resistant?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

kitabel wrote:I have a modified (don't know by who) M-51 with a replacement collar.
It's made of hard, white plastic, could be Delrin. The OD is slightly rough as if it were punched or sawed from a sheet of 1mm (.039"). The ID is a clean hole (not worn or egged), but it's .110" or a bit larger.
Delrin is a pretty good load bearing surface (slippery but hard), but is it gas/M85 resistant?
Kitabel!

PEEK would undoubtedly be superior to Delrin or nearly any other plastic, but just as UGLY.

If there is a market, let me know, and I'll put a man right on it.

But in the interest of preservationism, I have been pushing baked-on moly disulphide lube instead.
MOLY2.jpg
Unfortunately, the market has not embraced it, even though the cost is minor ($25 a carb on the average.)
The irony is that both PEEK and ultralight floats caught on in slightly less than a decade, whereas MolyD has been around nearly 800 years!

....Cotten
PS: If anyone knows of any other non-fuel-soluble lube, please email me direct at Liberty@npoint.net !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Linkert”