Linkert related issues
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Re: Another starting story-Question??

Post by 59Panman »

Eric,

Did you check the tension of the timer clip like I suggested?
Eric S
Bikes: 59 FLH 50 EL

Post by Eric S »

Thanks for help, Yes I did check that and it is secure. I just pressure checked the nipples again since I had replaced them earlier. I am waiting on a friend to come over as I cant hold the stopper in it by myself very well but I see no leaks there or the cover screws or plugs. I tried to start it this morning before I took it apart again and at yesterdays carb settings it would not even attempt to start. Manifold flange on carb side is flat on a sheet of glass. Having decent weather here at the moment sure would rather be riding. Eric
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Eric,
I want to go back to the original page 1 complaint on Nov 3.
Is this cold start problem something new?
Is this a new build that you never got to run right cold?
You say the E-beyond 2000 was already installed in the engine.
It sounds like you covered every corner of the engine
I agree with jdpan trying another timer with a point setup.
It sounds just like the WL I had years ago that I had to kick till
I turned blue. Had spark, had fuel, could not figure out what was going on.
When it tried to start it kicked and sputtered the way you describe.
I replaced the condenser and it fired and ran like a new bike.
You may have issues with the Quick Start electrics.
What else is left?

I have a E-beyond in my panhead and it works great so I don't think they are junk.
They are guaranteed for life.

Jim
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

I think he said he already swapped it out with a known working one from another bike... Correct me if I'm wrong.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Hopefully this will be the next to my last post on this subject. I could not find a leak in the nipples so I re-installed the manifold and pressure tested it at a steady 10psi. I took the carb apart again and blew out the passages that I could get to. Set the low speed needle 2.5 turns and kicked about 5 times and it was running. I am inclined to think that it had a manifold leak but as stated earlier it had been checked at least 3 times before this and nothing showed up. This is a new build and it has never started proper when cold. I bought the engine new and it had points when I purchased it. I bought the electronic conversion for this one becuse I was happy with it in my other bike. I have switched the units.coil,plugs,wires etc from a good bike to this one and there had not been any change. My other bike that has the original parts from this build starts and runs fine. This engine has less than 500 miles and so far I have had to replace the nipples and if you have seen in another of my posts a defective oil pump. So anything may be possible with my luck. Thank you all again for your help. Eric
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

I think it's time to walk away for a while and decompress.
Defrag your brain.

take a break

jim
biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

Post by biker_k »

Eric S wrote:JR-- Tried to start bike cold a few minutes ago- Set choke kicked and Kicked. Would not start.Tried different combinations of choke and throttle. It did belch once from intake and backfired once from exhaust. Plugs are Dry Thanks E
There's your problem. Dry plugs, no or little fuel. Try priming it several times full throttle, choke on, ignition off, at least 3 or 4 prime kicks. My 49 is like that, very little fuel flow at start.....sometimes I have to prime it even when it's hot. During my "learning" time with it, I had to kick the things 30 or 40 times to get it to start too. Finally, I started from scratch and primed it, took the plugs out to see if there was fuel. I finally figured out that I had to hold full throttle to get the motor to prime and to get enough fuel to start it. Once the motor is hot, it's 1 to 2 kicks with no prime most of the time.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Thanks you for the advice. I will try that. It would not start this morning it was 34 deg. I even dipped the plugs in gas and it still would not start. 7 hrs later it was 75 in the garage and it started after about 5 kicks. I think that some of the problem is when its cold I am not spinning the engine fast enough to start it. I am going to replace the 60wt oil with 50wt tomorrow if I can get it to start and warm up. Another member mentioned that this might be an issue earlier in this thread. I am 6ft 212lb and it takes all the ass I have to kick this bike cold. Thanks to everyone for the help. Eric
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo »

Greetings from PA. I got here Monday night, but it took a while to round up my brother's laptop, and things have been a little crazy this week, running back and forth from the hospital, a two to two and a half hour drive each way from his house, where I'm staying. Tonight is the first real chance I've had to sit down and log on.

MAKE IT EASY ON YOURSELF AND CHANGE THE OIL TO 20W-50. I bought my first Harley, a '70 XLCH, in January of '80, in PA. It had 60wt in it, and I had to warm it up with a kerosene heater for 20 minutes before it would start. I changed it to 50wt, and still had to warm it for 10 minutes on cold mornings.
If you are not comfortable running 20W-50, change it back to 50 after you get things resolved to your satisfaction, but the 20W-50 would remove oil viscosity from the list of possible issues. Your motor is new and has good compression, expect it to be harder to kick than an older engine. Don'tcompound the problem with heavy oil.

Regards,
John

Edited to add that the heater that worked well for me was the forced air/kerosene type that we called a "torpedo" heater. Don't know if that is the proper name for it.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

eric,

try john's advice.

you will be suprised how much choke you use when the bike is that cold! are you leaving the choke on one or two clicks after you prime it?

john
biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

Post by biker_k »

Eric S wrote:Thanks you for the advice. I will try that. It would not start this morning it was 34 deg. I even dipped the plugs in gas and it still would not start. 7 hrs later it was 75 in the garage and it started after about 5 kicks. I think that some of the problem is when its cold I am not spinning the engine fast enough to start it. I am going to replace the 60wt oil with 50wt tomorrow if I can get it to start and warm up. Another member mentioned that this might be an issue earlier in this thread. I am 6ft 212lb and it takes all the ass I have to kick this bike cold. Thanks to everyone for the help. Eric
Yes....drop the weight of your oil, that will help to kick it when it's that cold. But.....when it's that cold for my bike, I have to use the following starting method. Full choke on, full throttle, ignition off, 3 to 4 prime kicks. Then, Choke on the second notch, full throttle, ignition on, it will start either 1st kick or after 5 or 6 kicks.

My pan won't start unless I give it full throttle whether it's hot, cold, warm, don't matter. I kicked that thing about 200 times when I was "learning" how to start it before I finally figured out that my Linkert has to give lots o' gas to give the cylinders what they need to get it started. And that is with the fuel pooled in the intake or not.....it doesn't seem to matter.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Good Morning! I am heading out to the local parts store now to get some 20w50. I have changed so many parts including the carb from my reliable pan yesterday that I am not sure if there has been a combo of things wrong or not. The bike sat all night in the other garage and the old ladys car had to sit outside all night :shock: it is 65 in there. I placed an electric heater beside the bike for about an hour this morning and gave it 3 primes full choke and then started kicking at 1 click off and after about 5 kicks it started and ran fine. Hope this does the trick. John-Glad that you made it to PA safe. It sucks about this bike but I feel like I made some new friends. Thank you all again. Eric
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

Post by JR JOHNSON »

HI ERIC,if you have miles of break in, i'd use sny 20-50 if you can.just my opinion,..........with respect...JR
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

I did not think this day was ever going to come! 2 running Panheads. The 20w50 helped big time with the starting. I think that it had an intake leak that I missed from the beginning but not sure how? Anyway thank you all again! Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo »

Awesome bikes, Eric. Very glad to hear it.
Regards,
John

Return to “Linkert”