Another starting story-Question??

Linkert related issues
Eric S
Bikes: 59 FLH 50 EL

Another starting story-Question??

Post by Eric S »

I am having trouble with cold starts-30-40 kicks. Matter of fact I had to go to a clinic for a knee problem because of it. It will start hot or warm 1-2 kicks. Manifold and nipple leaks were repaired and checked at 20psi. The carb is a M74-B with a good float set at 1/4 and it runs well and idles nice at about 2 turns out on the low speed side and the mounting flange has been surfaced. When trying to start it cold it will sometimes backfire in the exhaust the solid lifters have been set to a slight drag spin. This engine kicks a lot harder than my 59 does. I checked the clutch for slippage and that was ok .It has a repo manual timer with a quickstart 2000 conversion and the timing has been checked with the flywheel position using the marks on the unit on the front compression stroke. Have tried prime kicks/full throttle/no throttle etc etc . said magic words. Some of the magic words I been yelling the neighbors made there kids go in the house. Last I even tried another coil,wires, plugs with no difference. ANY ideas on what I have missed or need to check again? One last thing forgot to mention the spark plugs are never wet with fuel. Thanks again Eric
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

Re: Another starting story-Question??

Post by JR JOHNSON »

hi,on my pans,i do what your doing,but try half retard on the timer,each bike i have is differant,if i leave it full retard,i'll kick a bunch,farts snorts,but i'll fine a happy retard to start.and like you,i'm getting a brand new knee put in this month. hopes this helps,or makes things worse.....with respect....JR
Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Post by Schwee »

How did you check for clutch slippage? If you have even the tiniest of pressure on the clutch arm, it can slip during cold kicking. Sure sounds like your problem to me (been there).
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

If you prime kick it, w/wo choke, and the plugs are dry (but idle is OK) the float is too low.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

I marked the pressure plate and the drum and then kicked it over several times and checked to see if the index marks moved. I also tried starting with all positions from full retard to just off full advance and it made no difference. I did get it started earlier today and made a couple of stops and it started 1-2 kick every time but the motor was still warm. It started with the air filter removed cold. Not sure if that had any thing to do with it or not? It had a repo metal wrap element in it. I had a foam one on the shelf that I stuck in it before the ride.It may have been the 30-40 kicks in the hour before it ran? This motor kicks a lot harder than my other bike it has 90si cold and is a 74. Thanks to Everyone for the replys! Eric
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

Post by JR JOHNSON »

hi,just for giggles,remove the air cleaner,put your hand over the carb, choke it by hand,see what it will do,should have gas on your hand,should start.also listen what kitabel saying,look at your plugs,but just try it by hand choke .lets us know.also if it don't start,pull your plugs,are they wet,dry when cold.......with respect...jr
...Also your 2 bikes ,one kicking harder than the other could it be differant size engine sprokets,changes kicking ratios,just a wild idea....JR
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

JR-- Tried to start bike cold a few minutes ago- Set choke kicked and Kicked. Would not start.Tried different combinations of choke and throttle. It did belch once from intake and backfired once from exhaust. Plugs are Dry Thanks E
4pans1man
Bikes: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Post by 4pans1man »

Eric S,

Just for fun, try putting a charger on your battery when the motor is cold. If it starts good when warm, the battery my have a full charge. And hard to start cold, till you kick it enough to charge the battery.

Good luck, Tony.
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

He said the plugs are dry, probably not electrical. I'm kinda leaning towards float adjustment as well. Maybe open the low speed needle a half turn or so.
4pans1man
Bikes: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Post by 4pans1man »

He also stated that it runs and idles fine after it starts. If it's still a 6 volt system, and the battery isn't up to full charge, they will do lots of weird starting things. Putting a charger on is about a 30 second chore.

..........Tony.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

I have a 12 volt system and seem to have a full charge on the battery. I am going to pull the float bowl in the morning and have another look at the level setting. I am using what I believe may be one of Mr Cottens floats. I can richen up the low speed needle which helps but then it has to be trimmed down a lot after it starts or it loads up bad and smokes black. It ran great this afternoon but after it sat for about 4 hours in 50 degree temp it was back to the same old thing. Thanks Big time to all of you! Eric
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

I agree - can't rule out voltage until you make sure the battery is topped up.
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

If gas was getting to the plugs Id agree, in this case however, thats not happening. Sounds more like a fuel delivery issue. You can have all the spark in the world but with no fuel, no blast off..
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Ok-I checked the voltage for sure on the charger and battery is fully charged. Thanks!
rrhawg
Bikes: 59 Pan, 65 Pan, 45 Wl, 46 UL, 41 Chief, 48 Chief, 50 Chief, 53 Hummer, 53 Simplex, and misc. others

Post by rrhawg »

When it's cold try prime kicking it with the switch off and full choke, hold the throttle wide open when you do this. I usually kick it 3 to 4 times like this, then take the choke back to one click hold the throttle barely open turn the switch on and see if this helps. If it coughs and trys to fire you may have to prime it again.
Rich

Return to “Linkert”