Linkert choke

Linkert related issues
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Linkert choke

Post by Hauula Pan »

Does anyone have a picture of how the Linkert choke lever & rod mount to the frame? I picked up the lever & rod but can not figure out how they are supposed to be mounted. (In the past I've just reached behind the air cleaner & felt around for the screw I attached directly to the lever on the carb. a real pain in the rear.) I would like to install the proper lever & rod. If anyone can post a good picture or even a description it would be appreciated. Linkert M74B on a 1952 FL.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Linkert choke

Post by RUBONE »

Hauula Pan,
The rod has a dogleg at one end and a sort of curlicue on the other. The dog leg goes in the lever end, the curly part in the carb. The choke lever has a hole that the curly end fits into, the hole you must have put your screw through. Thread the end of the rod into that hole before attaching the lever to the dog leg part. Attach the lever and bolt it to the motor mount, lever should stick out at 90 degrees when the choke is open. Push the lever down and the choke closes. That is basically it, minor tweaks may be necessary to clear the carb body or manifold nuts.
Robbie
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

I just went through the same questions. Search in this forum for "Linkert Choke Wire and Lever Installation"
VT had some good pictures. (I havent figured out how to plop a direct link out here yet.) He had the same issue that several of us have experienced: the rod drags on the manifold. He ended up bending his rod soo as not to drag on any thing. I also ran across another thread where some one stated that the motor mounts originally had spacers underneath at each head, efectively raising the choke lever up a bit so that the rod would not drag across the manifold. I need to check my parts book again for these mystery spacers.
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

Thanks for the replies. But I still have a question. I found one post but the picture does not show where or what the flip lever mounts to. The only tab on my frame is the one for the top motor mount. I have the bracket with the throttle cable clamp that also mounts there but that is it. I have nothing up there to mount the shaft of the flip lever through. Am I missing another bracket or a frame tab ??? The flip lever shaft is threaded part way up the shaft & has a washer & nut so it must go through some type of bracket or tab but I'm unable to figure out what I'm missing.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

You may have the wrong top motor mount. 68 and later FL/FLH used a top motor mount without provisions to mount the choke set-up you are trying to install. Yes, there should be a thick flat washer between the head and top mount. Pan and shovel top mounts will interchange. The choke flipper does not mount to the frame....bosheff
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

Thanks, more research and I discovered I do have the wrong mount bracket. Mine does not have the provision for the choke flip-lever. Until I can obtain a proper top mount I'll have to make a bracket for the lever.
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

A coathanger with the end ground down a bit will do the job temporarily. Just let it lay on top of the intake manifold, and maybe bend a hook on the end so ya got somethin to grab onto when yer usin it....bosheff
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

My parts book does not show a spacer (washer) between the heads and the motor mount. Can anyone provide a part number?
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

hope this helps some.

unrestored '55FL. the ones on my bike look just like plain washers

john
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Washers it is. Thanks John HD
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

You are correct. The Pan parts book doesn't show them, nor does the Shovel parts book. WTF....bosheff
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

the washers are listed with the horn for panheads.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Looking at a factory photo of a 49 (original pic belongs to Chris Haynes), and I can see washers on top of the motor mounts but not sure about washers under the mount. Maybe Chris can add some better insight...
Motor Mount.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

Ah hah....That explains it....bosheff

Return to “Linkert”