Linkert related issues
longhorn
Bikes: 58 servi-car
64 panhead
65 panhead
70 shovel

My pan is running poorly

Post by longhorn »

I have a 65 pan. The last few years, I've been running the M74 Linkert slow speed side, turned out 4 turn's, run's great, but is a little rich. The other day I was following what the manual say's, and reset the slow speed to 2 turn's out. The bike will start fine, but dies pretty quickly. Run's if I keep her opened up. Any suggestion's, on where to start? I'm thinking intake manifold leak. If that would be the case, what is the best fix?
Jim
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Re: My pan is running poorly

Post by PanPal »

Start by checking for intake leaks. 4 turns out sounds like your original problem got worse.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

Pressuretesting while installing an O-ring assembly lets you find the 'sweetspot' for the most reliable seal. Then massage the carb support to make it mate without stress or bind.

Use OEM-style light clamps with #10 screws, and James viton O-rings, with no goobers, tapes, or other "better ideas".

And don't forget to test the pancover screws over each intake port.

Good luck,

...Cotten
longhorn
Bikes: 58 servi-car
64 panhead
65 panhead
70 shovel

Post by longhorn »

One thing "I" discovered today, is that your way better off pulling the tank's before your start dinking around with the carb, makes thing's alot easier.
I'm thinking you should tighten the clamps around the manifold first, making sure the mating surface's are square to each other, and then make the bottom bracket fit the location of the carb bolt?
Look's like fixing intake gasket's, should be a yearly job.
Thank's again Jim
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Jim!

Don't trust to appearances of "square": Trust bubbles to tell you the position where it seals best.

They will also let you know if you overtighten the clamps.

When there are absolutely no bubbles forming anywhere,
then tweak or shim the support bracket to make the carb flange meet the manifold flange and phenolic spacer with gaskets perfectly.

It is important to grind the flanges and the spacer flat, too.

....Cotten
Any stone left unturned hides something ready to bite you from behind...... Rydnick Wysdom
62pan
Inactive member
Bikes: 62 pan

Post by 62pan »

I have found that my bike runs really well with the low speed needle set at 3 1/2 turns + or - a couple clicks and the high speed needle at 1 1/2 turn = or - a click or two.

It sounds as though you miss read the manual and are trying to set the low speed needle to what the manual says to start the high speed needle at.

Return to “Linkert”