Linkert carb: which intake

Linkert related issues
boddiley

Linkert carb: which intake

Post by boddiley »

was just wondering for rideability and service is the plumber intake best with linkert carb? new to pans and in the middle of geting parts togather
thanks
krazyloop

Re: Linkert carb: which intake

Post by krazyloop »

No, because plumber manifolds have more of a tendency to leak than rubber band (Linkert) manifolds.
A simple trick to prevent rubberband mainfold leak is to install the mainfold and rubber O rings in place. Take some black electrical tape and make one complete wrap plus a slight overlap around each rubber O ring. Then install the clamps. Then mount the carburetor to the mainfold.
With plumber heads I drip non-hardening Permatex, the gooey black stuff, on the threads first and then mount the manifold. I never had any symptom of mainfold leaks that way.
If you have the option to use O ring heads or plumber heads, use the O ring heads. If you are a stickler for using all the same year parts and you need plumber heads then use those and hope for the best.
Rainjester

Post by Rainjester »

I have the plumber style. It was a little bit of a pain to get it to stop leaking but eventually I was able to. Never tried the O-ring but from the looks of it, the O-ring style would be quite a bit easier to assemble.

jester-
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Replace the bronze compression rings with Cotten's peek seals, that he handmakes. No more leaks, even without the sealer. If your fittings (nipples, as the book calls them) are in good shape, in each head, you won't have to worry about the manifold-to-head sealing. If your head nipples are not tight, Contact Don Sullivan (Head Hog, Inc) for a repair that is better than new.

Jack
boddiley

Post by boddiley »

what it is i traded my dad out of a trike it is servi car backhalf married to a big twin front half basicly a basket case the motor cases are 58 flh i guess the heads are older because they have plumber style intake i have the motor out of the frame to put it on a 2 wheel frame and im putting gaskets on the top half (jugs up) intake nuts look pretty bad but i havnt took it apart yet and i have seen conversion kits( v-twin sells for like 90 bucks intake and all ) and i was just trying to get input from people that know and you guys seem to give good advice and i am planing on making a rider out of this
Thanks
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

A modern plumber-style manifold is superior to the later OEM o-ring vintage design.
I guarantee it.
O-rings are now compromised by digestive fuels. The don't survive like they used to.
And the operation of installing 0-ring conversion nipples in older machines is not only very difficult, risky, and expensive to get perfect, it is also lot of money to depreciate your vintage machine a lot.
boddiley

Post by boddiley »

thanks for the input and cotten how do i go about buying a set of the peek seals i keep hearing about?
thanks again
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Custom-cutting seals from PEEK is being offered by more and more restorers, such as Carl's Cycle of Aberdeen S.D., and soon maybe Old Dude will be offering it.
In the meantime, I re-cut and prep the manifold for $20 (if necessary), and then fit it with a pair of PEEK seals for another $60.
(Please note that the price of PEEK has recently risen to ~$24 an inch.)

My shop is pretty constipated right now, so turnaround isn't predictable, but the address is:

Liberty Motorcycle Specialties, Inc.
118 N. Washington St.
Lacon, IL 61540 USA

Please include the nuts so that I may return an assembly that is ready to install. Nuts that have chisle or punchmarks that show bulges on the inside are junk.

Return to “Linkert”