Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Linkert insulator block question

Post by Skip »

Using an insulator block...do I need to use the 2 paper type gaskets also...Thanks....Skip
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Linkert insulator block question

Post by Cotten »

Yep.

Grind all four surfaces flat;
Line up your complete assembly before you pressuretest the manifold separately...
Use sealers sparingly, if at all....
And above all,
Avoid the urge to overtorque.

....Cotten
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

Thanks....thought so but here lately second guessing everything...Don't think I will use sealer at all...do not see the need for such things...is screw length an issue, or just as long as tight...have oem set but they seem a tad short when using all three gaskets...they tighten up well enough, but not much screw in the hole...the long ones I have are too long...Skip
62wild1
Bikes: 1962 panhead, 1999 Wideglide, 2008 Ultra Classic and a few other brands.

Post by 62wild1 »

I read on Roadrat Roberts web site that he uses plain chapstick on his gaskets and has never had a leak. Has anyone ever tried this?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Skip!

OEM lockwashers were quite thin, and the gaskets may have been also, adding up to an extra thread or two.
What is the condition of the threads in the casting?
If they have been chamfered or boogered, then you may want to helicoil for strength.
Your long screws must be WLA or something?

and 62trvler!

That's a new use for Chapstick that I wasn't aware of.
Although James gaskets and others may have adhesives already applied, the only reason I use a little Gasgacinch is for an assembly aid. (And to make it clean up easier upon the next service.)

....Cotten
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

Mr. Cotten...The threads are excellent...the problem, I think is the screw being too short...maybe...they do tighten well, but not very long into the carb holes...and yes I have 2 1/2 sets of the long (WLA) screws and tried to use them...just a tad too long...

I have another linkert question...mine seems to be leaking around the bowl nut...think if I replace the copper/brass crush washer it will fix that?...any other suggestions...Thanks Skip
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Skip asked: "mine seems to be leaking around the bowl nut...think if I replace the copper/brass crush washer it will fix that?"
Maybe.

If you grind the bowl deck flat before lathe-cutting the bowlnut gasket surface flat parallel to it,.. it certainly assures the best odds.

....Cotten
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

I have another question......seems eveything is going great so far...but...the semi-problem I have is that the carb seems to be wet all the time...the bowl seems damp and the brass carb body itself appears to be wet as well...I believe I did as Mr. Cotten suggested above but still here we are...is this a problem? Thanks Skip
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

If it is 'wet' with fuel, it certainly is not safe.

....Cotten
56panman
Bikes: 56 flh in 58-64 frame
92 flhtc

Post by 56panman »

Skip I rebuilt my linkert this year also. I also was getting a drip hanging from the bowl nut everyday. I had not tightened the bowl drain plug completely. I thought it was the bowl nut also but it was the bowl drain plug.
Quote:"carb seems to be wet all the time...the bowl seems damp and the brass carb body itself appears to be wet as well..." What kind of humidity are you working in..? Could it be condensation..? :-/
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Don't Linkerts have a vent in the carb body ? Interesting use of chap stick.
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

fourthgear: You know I thought about the vent hole....seems to do it mostly after I run it for a while...starting and running so good I hate to take it off for a look...may wait...I guess I used the term "all the time" too freely....56Panman...my bowl does not have the drain hole...wish it did...I live in WV...it is like the rain forest without the rain, and the forest...but all the humidity...good thought.....thanks....Skip
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Skip, have you seen the Blue ridge parkway? I'm ridin' down there in July with some freinds, sounds like a nice ride, Mike
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

Panacea...Yes I have seen the parkway and it has seen me...beautiful ride...if you are in the area anyway, take 250/219 through Elkins and Marlington WV areas south to the Parkway...some of the best WV has to offer....then you can hit the Parkway a little further south at 250/I-64 junction...if you come by WV give us a holler....Skip
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Mike

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a beautiful ride. I was up there on Sunday (I live about 5 miles from the start @ I 64). It is quite a mecca for bikes in the summer.
Riding the whole length would be a gas but it takes a while. In early the 60's I drove it in a 55 Ford. It took about three days but was a great trip.
If you are coming through give me a buzz.

King

Return to “Linkert”