Linkert adjustments

Linkert related issues
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Linkert adjustments

Post by panfreak »

Due to poor hot starting, I tested manifold and sure enough had a leak. As you can imagine, my carb settings afterward (M74B) were way off, actually, I'm amazed how well it ran with such a bad leak. Always one kick cold, but the 5 or 6 hot was the give away something was wrong.
It wouldn't run without choke on initially, and was really rich on the high speed. I began with the suggested baseline starting point (1.5 and 2.5? Can't remember right now, I'm not in the shop) and worked from there until it wasn't smoking or stumbling when on the gas. I went for a ride last night, and all seemed good but I think I'm not quite there with my settings. This is not my forte and I was hoping for a little advice to help me dial things in rather than just clicking away blindly.
My two observations were;
1. When maintaining a cruising speed, barely on the throttle (40ish) there was an almost imperseptable stumbling. None at all when I accelerate hard, and no smoke during acceleration. Seems to cruise along good otherwise.
2. Back in my shop afterward, when I rev it up, there is no stumbling, but a slight popping on deceleration.

I think I'm only a couple clicks from being in my happy place, but would like some input if you could. Like I said, this is not my specialty and I would rather get closer than further from my sweet spot. I suspect the popping on deceleration might be a rich setting on the low, and maybe the high is starving slighly when cruising at around 40?
I'm gonna go for a short ride with new plugs and check them, sorry didn't do that last night. And I made sure my timing was bang on before anything else.
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Re: Linkert adjustments

Post by 108 »

Panfreak, I'm no expert but I know from mine and others I've adjusted that... the idle will sound better and throttle response off-idle will be better if the idle mixture is a little on the rich side. That slight stumble sounds like a lean missfire because at 40 in high gear , your running on the idle circuit. Here's a test- at a normal stable idle , if you can twist the throttle wide open real quick and it revs right up with out poping back or cutting out , the idle mix is aboput right. About the only way to get the high speed right is to start out rich , run through second or third gear wide open to see how it feels, turn it down two or three clicks , and and do it again until you get the strongest and highest acceleration.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

I have found that popping on the deceleration was a lean condition on the low speed screw. Open the low speed screw until it goes away.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

I experimented on a good ride last night to get this figured out. When I gunned it around 40ish it was sluggish to respond and just felt like it was getting too much fuel as it would smooth out a bit when I let off. I tried two clicks down with the high speed needle, it was BETTER but not quite there. Two more, much better. One more and it now accelerates hard with no popping or smoke. Five clicks? Man I was rich.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

All should please remember that the M74B operates its highpeed circuit off of a fixed metering orifice (mainjet) screwed into the bowlstem, and the needle only trims a minimal excess, about the difference that a mile in altitude makes. Thus, the HS needle has often been dubbed "The Denver Jet".
Normally you will find a #18 or #19 installed, but only trial and error will determine if either places your HS needle within a sensitive range. The things are so forgiveable that the jet can be plugged and still be supplied by the needle. Yet the idle circuit must supply both fuel and air as well to balance out.
It is often normal for the HS needle to have very little effect, so Panfreak's is dialed in most sweetly!

....Cotten
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

I haven't the # drills handy, but Palmer lists the #18 jet as .0795" and the #19 as .082".
Manifold leaks vary in their own leakage as RPM, temperature, etc., vary.
Therefor the mixture must often be set over-rich to accommodate it at its leanest condition, sooting the plugs under other conditions.

....Cotten
jellero
Former member

Post by jellero »

cotten or anyone, do you know what the #18-#19 jets convert to in drill size numbers and which is the leaner? my plugs are black and i'm fouling plugs. my hs needle is shut tight. live at 7000'. i have a #19 which seems to be a #43 and took it down to #46 today, helpful but still black plugs. idle and starting are great with new plugs.
and how would a manifold leak cause richness? j
jellero
Former member

Post by jellero »

hmmm... well .08" is pretty close to 5/64" which is real close to a #46 bit which i used yesterday and as i said, still way too rich. the float isn't close to hitting anything and didn't have any gas in it i could hear (brass float). float valve seemed to work fine so i'm stumped. think i will put some miles on it today since it stopped raining, then check again. j
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Brass float?
How much does it weigh, and how deep did you set it?

.....Cotten
jellero
Former member

Post by jellero »

i just pulled the float bowl again and measured 7/16" from lip of bowl to float, manual says it should be 1/4". if i bend it up to 1/4", that will let even more gas in. not good. j

well i moved float to 1/2" and re-jetted to a #51, then a #54. 51 was still rich, 54 requires two turns on high speed needle so i am set for the mountains and finally have some control. am i the only one at altitude?? bike is running better than ever now, my friend again. j

Return to “Linkert”