Porous carburetor bowl

Linkert related issues
wantapanrealbad
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Porous carburetor bowl

Post by wantapanrealbad »

Hi Gang,

My carb bowl leaks, the gasoline oozes through the porous casting. In the past I smeared the inside with JB weld and that works for a while but modern gas softens it up over time. Has anyone found something that works well?

Thanks,

Joe
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Hey Joe

Post by Motorcyclemike »

Joe what kind of carb is it....and yes JB Weld is not the best for stopping a seep....you might need to use that stuff that seals gas tanks...Kreem...or a lite coat of a gas resistant paint.

I'd like to know what the carb type is....Linkert/Bendix ?

Moooooootor Cycle Mike
wantapanrealbad
Inactive member

Post by wantapanrealbad »

Hi Mike, its a Linkert. I worry about using Kreem because the stuff only sticks if the metal is super clean. This casing has had 60+ year of junk in it.

Thanks,

Joe
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Joe!

I use an isocyanate urethane over JBWeld. That's chemically like "Imron".

The digestive nature of modern fuels seems to have reached new heights lately, as I still encounter seasoned intact JBWeld on carbs that are sent to me. Hearing that it now fails in P4gas is disheartening for us all.

.....Cotten
joe
Bikes: 1947 Indian Chief
1956 Harley FLH
1985 Harley FLH Shovelhead
1986 Heritage Softail

Post by joe »

Cotten..

Thanks for the post, if the isocyanate urethane works I will give it a shot. Is it readily available under a trade name?

Joe
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

If you are an industrial maintenance painter, then the manufacturer TNEMEC may be familiar, but as far as an off-the-shelf consumer product, I know of none.

...Cotten
joe
Bikes: 1947 Indian Chief
1956 Harley FLH
1985 Harley FLH Shovelhead
1986 Heritage Softail

Post by joe »

So far, so good. I used fiberglass resin to coat the inside of the bowl, it seems to be holding up. I figured they used to make aftermarket gas tanks out of fiberglass so it should hold up. You can get it from most any auto parts store.

joe
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

I've worked for Tnemec's Environmental Affairs department for 18+ years. We do have iso paints that should resist gas (I checked on some for the carb float screw seal a few weeks ago). But there are a few problems: We are only in KC, Baltimore, Dallas, and a few other select distribution centers (warehouses) across the country. We sell to industrial accounts and professional applicators and really don't sell pint or half pint sample sizes. And small container mail order shipments (including the converter/hardener) requires specific DOT compliance; not to mention the S/H charges. Otherwise I'd work out a deal and send some to you myself; if requested.

Maybe I could bring some 1 gallon pails and empty cans to Davenport and you could dip your own samples. The other thought is to go to a ICI Glidden store to see if they have their similar gas resistant Devoe iso available or go to a Sherwin Williams store.

Wish I could help more but DOT, EPA, etc. sometimes screws things up.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

TNEMEC's "Poly-Ura-Prime aluminum 530 (number may have changed) is actually a 'primer', and requires no converter or hardener. It pulls moisture from the air to cure, making shelf life and dispensing into smaller containers a concern.

I stalled on my plans to bottle small "courtesy" quantities when I never found (in any dumpster) a proper regulator to fit a nitrogen bottle for a protective overlay.

If the formula hasn't changed,
the coating is remarkable for many reasons beyond resistance to digestive fuel:
It is tough as Hell, with enough heat resistance for a cylinder.
I have used it to seal case cracks with oil in them.
I have built up machine surfaces and re-cut it like an epoxy, as well as potting in loose bushings like a Loctite..
It can encapsulate minor rust and corrosion.
It is one of the few sealers applicable to intake nipple repairs.
It mimics cadmium plating well, and mixed with bronze powder can match dull nickel.

Attached is a pic of carb hardware dressed with the coating, after seasons in service and a spray carb cleaner wash.

As I have posted before, it seems P4Gas proof at this time. It is very difficult to stay a step a head of the alien spit that the petro companies add, and with rising fuel prices the temptation of illegal solvent dumping rises as well.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

Cotten, you can have a 1 or 5 gallon pail of this stuff any time I'm coming up to Davenport - NO CHARGE! It's no longer Series 50-330 Poly-Ura-Prime, it's now called Series 530 Omnithane. From discussion with our Tech Service reps there are other good candidates for gas resistance urethanes but again, I haven't delved into it.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Kev!

I still have a couple of gallons left to me by a departed benefactor,
but it would be great to make it available to our forum friends!

....Cotten
PS: Health issues make my D-port plans a bit uncertain.

Return to “Linkert”