Linkert related issues
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Linkert throttle lever reversing kit

Post by drinner-okc »

Anyone have any photos of a working (or properly installed) kit to use a 'pull' cable on a Linkert? I believe I have all the pieces, but do not like the results I came up with. The angle between the support and cable block will wear the cable badly. Plus I only get about 2/3 throttle (it's OK I ride slow anyway)

It's only a temporary fix until I find a spiral to convert some later FL bars to a 'push' cable.

drinner-okc
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

RE: Throttle Reverse

Post by 59Panman »

drinner-okc,

Here is information Perry Ruiter quotes from his website. All you should need is the reverse pull spiral for the grip only.

http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/PanThrottleGripSleeve.html

1949-1953 Panhead Carburetor Controls

Fitting a late-model carb to a 1949-53 Panhead while keeping stock style controls can be a hassle as the original carb required a "push" operation to open the throttle whereas the modern carbs require a "pull" operation. What doesn't seem to be widely known is that the lightweight models (125s, 165s and Hummers) shared the 1949-53 style handlebar controls with their larger siblings but used a "pull" style throttle grip sleeve. The "reverse action" grip sleeve is part number 56220-47 and was fitted to all pre-1960 lightweights.
Kuda
Bikes: *

Re: RE: Throttle Reverse

Post by Kuda »

ozwick wrote:drinner-okc,

Here is information Perry Ruiter quotes from his website. All you should need is the reverse pull spiral for the grip only.

http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/PanThrottleGripSleeve.html
<snip>
That's good stuff, for sure, but that's if you're tossing a late carb on an old pan. Since he's workin' on a Linkert, that's not the case. But unfortunately, while I've got a couple of those kits myself, I haven't had the time to play with them yet and figure out which one I'll use for now (CV on a '49 FL) until my Linkert is rebuilt and I can get some seals and floats from Cotton...

-Kuda
'49 panchop
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Oops,

I misread, I thought there was a CV going onto the bike.
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

No pics....but I mounted the bracket to my top motor mount.....and the rest fell into place....let me know if you still need pics.......Skip
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

Skip wrote:No pics....but I mounted the bracket to my top motor mount.....and the rest fell into place....let me know if you still need pics.......Skip
I for one would sure like to see 'em! Thanks,

-Kuda
'49 panchop
VT

Post by VT »

Yes, somebody please post a pic of the "throttle reversing kit installed".
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I have a question. Has anyone recently bought a (49-0158) 56220-53 ('54-70) push spiral from Tedd Cycle lately? The i.d. of the otherwise perfect spiral was too small 10 yrs. ago. Did their jobber for that part ever get it right :?:
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

I will try to get pics this evening and post...........Skip

uploaded some pics in the gallery......I also have the other type of set up........as seen on ebay for $10.00.......it sucks pond scum.......Skip
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Post by drinner-okc »

Skip, thanks for those photos. Those are pieces I have, and how I have them installed. My lever has 2 holes, if I put the cable block in the outside
hole, it hits the head before it hits the idle stop. In the inner hole, the cable gets in a straight line with the throttle shaft before it opens the disc
all the way, but I would rarely need WFO anyway.
drinner-okc

Return to “Linkert”