Linkert idle issue

Linkert related issues
Weston1955
Bikes: 1955 fle

Linkert idle issue

Post by Weston1955 »

Having trouble with the linkert idle speed. It increases significantly once warm. I’ve pressure tested manifold three times both while cold and with engine warm and no bubbles at all. Throttle shaft bushings are new and tight. Adjusted clutch because it seemed to go down a little once clutch was pulled in. New plugs and condenser. The temps here are in the 40’s when I leave in the morning and after riding it several blocks I’ll notice the idle has increased significantly when I come to a stop light. And I put and thought of what I might be overlooking would be greatly appreciated. It’s a linkert m74-b
Doc37W
Bikes: '37 W,'41 ULH,'59 FLH Handshift,'69 Fl Handshift w/sidecar,

Re: Linkert idle issue

Post by Doc37W »

Everything should be set once the motor is up to operating temperture. That's the reason the LS needle is movable when the choke is pulled, to keep the motor running 'till it reaches optimum temps. If your points are set to the correct gap, breaking at the proper time, valves are adjusted properly, then, you adjust the carb. If you don't have a manifold leak, what about the gasket between the manifold & carb? Have you sprayed some carb cleaner or WD-40 on it? If it increases the idle speed (or lowers it), you've found the problem. Doc
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Sounds like it could be running lean? I would check the low speed screw. Turn it in slowly until the engine starts to slow down then back it out until it idles the fastest, then a click or two after that out.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Also check your filter screen on the bottom of the Linker for crap to clean out.
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

If you are running an auto-advance timer, it could be the weights are sticking on full advance. If yours is manual advance, you could achieve slower idle by giving some timing retard. It will smooth out the idle in exactly the same way the auto-advance unit does. I rather like adjusting idle speed with timer retard at the traffic lights. Might be just me. Yes, it's something to play with... :D

Otherwise my thought is as Doc outlines, set idle speed/mixture once it's "up to full operating temperature". Then for starting/warmup, you work around the fact the setting needs to be where it is. Hope that's clear, it's kinda difficult to explain.
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

It may be there's nothing much wrong! Let's put it the other way round, " My bike won't idle well when it's 40 degrees out and it hasn't fully warmed up". You don't mention if you use the choke maybe halfway in the driveway and then don't take off till it's warm. I'd just back down the stop screw a smidge and see if you like it better there.

Just my two cents
Andygears

Return to “Linkert”