Throttle disc

Linkert related issues
tnovosad
Bikes: 1963 panhead FL Duo Glide

Throttle disc

Post by tnovosad »

Hi, have been checking over my M74B and found the throttle disc to be loose, slight movement left to right when in horizontal position, is that normal, or should it be snug tight with no movement at all?

Appreciate any wisdom you may have....
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Throttle disc

Post by Bigincher »

I offer no wisdom, but the throttle disc should not be loose. Obvious question- are the screws tight?
The disc should be centered so it contacts the bore evenly when the screws are tightened. I like to use a small dab of blue Loctite; it would be disastrous if a screw came loose and made its way into the cylinder head.
tnovosad

Post by tnovosad »

Thanks for that, is the same for air intake disc, snug tight, no movement?
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Well, now that question stumped me- there are two discs, the throttle disc and choke disc. Both discs are affixed firmly to their shafts, but the shafts may have some slop in the bushings if there is excessive wear.
tnovosad

Post by tnovosad »

Big inch r, your feedback is much appreciated, my air intake disc was loose, the damn screws were loose, not the bushing worn. Could have been a catastrophic screw into the motor. The manuals do not specify that the discs must be secure with no movement, just screwed in place... Anyway thanks mate!
tnovosad

Re: Throttle disc/air intake disc

Post by tnovosad »

tnovosad wrote:Hi, have been checking over my M74B and found the throttle disc to be loose, slight movement left to right when in horizontal position, is that normal, or should it be snug tight with no movement at all?

Appreciate any wisdom you may have....
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

tnovosad wrote:Big inch r, your feedback is much appreciated, my air intake disc was loose, the damn screws were loose, not the bushing worn. Could have been a catastrophic screw into the motor. The manuals do not specify that the discs must be secure with no movement, just screwed in place... Anyway thanks mate!
Glad you found the loose screws!
With them tight, check that the disc is pretty much centered in the bore when closed; look for visible daylight around the edge, and adjust accordingly.

Return to “Linkert”