'61 FL/ Linkert stock setup kicking through carb, kicker?

Linkert related issues
jellero
Former member

'61 FL/ Linkert stock setup kicking through carb, kicker?

Post by jellero »

can someone give me some reason this is happening? i didn't run bike for 2 years do to health issues so gas was bad. took care of the bad gas, drained and flushed twice, cleaned carb. started her up and had backfiring through carb, ran lousy past second gear. checked points (duals) and front wasn't opening enough so i re-set to .022, rear set was o.k. now i have back firing though the carb and kicker when fully retarded (manually). that has never happened before, kicker i mean. any help appreciated. j
tomfiii
Bikes: 86 FXRD

Re: '61 FL/ Linkert stock setup kicking through carb, kicker

Post by tomfiii »

Did you remove plugs in carb when cleaning,also use a points file and lightly touch up point surfaces.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Jellero!

The significant clue seems to be that it kicks back.

So I suggest another round through the Service Manual timing procedure, and tossing some condensors in shouldn't hurt.

And then the bubble-test, of course!

....Cotten
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

Maybe the timer cable is slipping and is not actually retarding the timer.
jellero
Former member

Post by jellero »

that's what it seemed like but it is manual retard. i reset front points again and it doesn't do anything now, no popping, kicking back, nothing but hurt my leg. put new plugs in, no change. j
jellero
Former member

Post by jellero »

after eight hours, setting the points a few times and taking the float bowl off to check for hangups. it is popping out of carb and kicking back through kicker like when i started. i'm wondering if someone reversed the coil wires now... j
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Get rid of the obvious!--the easy shit will make you scratch your head!--It sat for 2yrs.---pull the carb. & clean that VARNISH out real good!--A bleed could be clogged who knows,make sure your points aren't arcing anywhere,& working correctly!--If running HYD. lifters,Make sure all are working!& pumping-up!/Back thru carb. is usually timing or cam-related most of the time!--See which cyl. is cold & start there for your valves if running hyd.--ALWAYS TEST THE MANIFOLD!--2yrs. can do strange things to O-rings,especially id dry & adding the corn-squeezuns they say is good for us!,that would really eat-up a dry-o-ring almost overnight if it sat dry dor that long!--Respecfuly---RICHIE 8)
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Jellero!

Coughing out the carb can be other things, like the evil vacuum leak (so you might have that too,) but to feel the jolt in your foot is still the realm of timing matters, usually a matter of over-advance.

You found both timing marks upon the flywheel, as per the Service Manual, right? Or is yours one of the first productions where the infallible and immaculate MOCO simply forgot to mark the rear?

....Cotten
jellero
Former member

Post by jellero »

just a front mark. i marked the rear years ago with a chisel but not enough to catch with a driver blade. i just adjusted the points and now the timing is all messed up, with buyer to be here in a few minutes. my hip has about given up on me... j
kickstartworker
Bikes: 61 duoglide, 79 shovelchopper

Post by kickstartworker »

You found both timing marks upon the flywheel, as per the Service Manual, right? Or is yours one of the first productions where the infallible and immaculate MOCO simply forgot to mark the rear?

....Cotten
Cotton !
Are you sure, the MOCO did forget to mark the flywheels for the rear cylinder ? I have the same with my 61 : no marks for the rear ! Where did you get this information from ? I thought someone has replaced them but I could not believe it because the Odometer says 28600 Miles.....and it seems to be the original one because all numerics are peeling off more and more.....
I will be very, very happy, if it will be proved that my Flywheels are OEM ! My serial # is 37xx.....

Cheers
Jörg

Return to “Linkert”