Linkert info!!!

Linkert related issues
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Linkert info!!!

Post by 58flh »

Panhead I checked out that site with the LINKERTS & SCHEBLERS!,--My question for anybody who has Purchased a carb. from them!---Are you satisfied???--Was the $$$$ a fair-deal?--& did you men get atleast a month before switching the floats for one of COTTONS?/--Would you recommend just getting them from Cotton & be done with it from the Jump-street!.-Also the Venturi-FIT!/--Was it good-(no daylight?). How is the Carb. performing today?/I Thank-you guys for taking your time in ansering my Questions!----RICHIE 8)
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Re: Linkert info!!!

Post by blewcrab »

do u mean " into the wilderness " ? if so I bought all the parts for my M74B from them ,including the float. after 2500 miles no problems so far. I assume they use thier parts for the rebuilt linkerts they sell
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

BLEWCRAB!---YES thats the site!-(into the wilderness).---Thank-you!,--2500miles & no float-Problems Thats good!,Considering it been sitting in the bowl With P4-fuel!---Thank-YOU!---Richie
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Richie!

My only experience is with the ITW items that show up on my bench.
The most recent piece is this venturi:
STELVENT.jpg
It is 2 3/4 oz. of steel, apparently zinc-plated, and apparently such a exact replica of an original that they copied .004" of shrinkage, and even spigot wear like this tired original:
wornvent.jpg
....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

COTTON??---IF its known that it will shrink & daylight is going to be inevitable.Why dont they go oversize some?--This way after all the Heat/cool -cycles--They would end-up with a TIGHTER fitting Venturi!--I mean to me THATS REAL Important!--GAPPAGE COMES,-PERFORMANCE out the window.---RICHIE :?:
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Richie!

Only original potmetal (die-cast "zamac") venturies have a shrinkage problem.

Neither aluminum nor steel should shrink, but logically replacements should have been cut to fit in the first place. It is a great mystery of our time why anyone would go to the trouble to produce a part wrong, when it would be just as easy to produce it right.

This steel example is 25% heavier than even potmetal, and when slipped into the bore, a light pop with the palm of the hand produces a rattle like a wrench in a coffee can.
Loose, heavy venturies eventually wear grooves into the carburetor bore, as well as upon the nozzle spigot:
VENTGRUV.jpg
Early bronze-body DLX Scheblers suffered greatly from brass venturies bouncing about.
Pre-War Linkerts with very light aluminum-like venturies suffered neither grooves, nor near the shrinkage of later models.

.....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panheadron
Bikes: 56 Pan, 62 CH

Post by panheadron »

With today's fuels, ethanol is lighter than gasoline. It's like swimming in fresh water vs salt. You need a lighter float than a brass one.
Venturi??? slap some rtv around it when you shove it in along with a ring w/lock tight. Sealed up & won't move!
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

panheadron wrote:With today's fuels, ethanol is lighter than gasoline. It's like swimming in fresh water vs salt. You need a lighter float than a brass one.
Venturi??? slap some rtv around it when you shove it in along with a ring w/lock tight. Sealed up & won't move!
Panheadron!

I agree, at the bottom line, with the first part, but I fear I must disagree about the venturi goober...

RTV and saccharin Loctites wash out with P4gas.
Right into the combustion chamber too.

Thanks for bringing it back up though!

....Cotten
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

Thanks for the INFO ,still coming in!---This site continues to prove me correct in my decision when I JOIND!.-I have another (GOOBER-?)---DOES or is anybody FAMILIAR with PROPER APPLICATIONS of SAID MATIERALS--including PROFESSIONAL Goober Matieral?---I know maybe 2-MEN that understand & TEST these things!-(goobers).I have a test piece of a sealent that has been in my area P-4 gas since last year!--AUGUST will make 1-FULL YEAR!.I don't want to disclose the product UNTIL I get 1-YEAR of nothing WRONG!.--IT is a SILICONE!.It still looks the same as I placed it in there last AUG.-NO sighs of swelling or any change!--I also tried 3-other -(very-Expensive)-sealents for what they claim & All lasted 2-months before the 1st. sign of deterioration, then Failed completely!---I will say that clean & pristine is a must for all goober aplications!--(40% of failure is crap prep).More to come & fingers crossed.----So far HI-TEMP BLACK or RED sealer is GREAT for EXHAUST purpose olny!--(unless a roadfix to keep rolling!).--Also when I do EX. Application ,-this may sound dumb to some but pristine clean-(to the base metal),Followed by ALCOHOL scrub,THEN a HEAVY 1/4-inch thick bead around the spigots is MANDATORY.You will know you got it correct when it OOZES OUT the full 360-degrees!.--IF not pull it wipe it & put it on HEAVIER!. Once you get the OOZE!--Tighten the clamp & -most Important after PREP)-IS TOOLING the product!--I use a Finger as you will find for initial TOOLING it SEALS BEST!--If you wait more will ooze as minits tick-by,TOOL-AGAIN in opposite direction!.AFTER 1-hour Take a white-T-shirt & dab in Alcohol-CLEAN-UP unwanted areas.--DO not clean that beautiful 1/8-wide bead connection from head to pipe!-(NEVER).THIS must sit for a min. of 24hrs.--RULE-THICKER the longer!--(summertime=24hrs , Winter 3,weeks min.-cure-time).You will have a no leak EX.-EVEN if pipe is interrupted by a steep drive way & it moves some!--HERE you check that HEAD to Pipe joint!--NO tears its good & can getaway with a rear fastener loosening & SLIGHT ADJ. to original spot!. PERMATEX can stretch up to 3-inches!--(that is a smoke & mirror manufacturer statement!)--IT can--BUT it has to be 3-inches thick & FULLY-CURED--That's the Gimmick! :wink: ---I hope this helps or educates those who don't fully understand!---RESPECTFULLY---RICHIE
dbanana
Bikes: HD

Post by dbanana »

58flh wrote:Panhead I checked out that site with the LINKERTS & SCHEBLERS!,--My question for anybody who has Purchased a carb. from them!---Are you satisfied???--Was the $$$$ a fair-deal?--& did you men get atleast a month before switching the floats for one of COTTONS?/--Would you recommend just getting them from Cotton & be done with it from the Jump-street!.-Also the Venturi-FIT!/--Was it good-(no daylight?). How is the Carb. performing today?/I Thank-you guys for taking your time in ansering my Questions!----RICHIE 8)

Richie... I bought an M35 from him. If you want a carb that will not even function until you repair it yourself , incorrect parts , bullshit and excuses... then he's your man.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

dbanna!---Sorry for my spelling,---THANK-YOU for an honest answer!---That's what most EXP. have been,-I mught add!--What he said is true!--You know that small crap you cant see & never read!-(results are not typical & may vary!)!!!---I have spoke to a few MEN who PM me & they were not satidfied with the RESULTS!--The carb.s are not bad for a GREAT starting Platform!,As someone put it!.--BUT after a conversation & (special price for you) on the telephone,I was not going that route!---$1400 For what I WANT--(there are cheaper!)--Is way-off!-& I need 2!.THOSE of you that are satisfied -(count your lucky-stars!).When I asked for Bodies -Crickets & silence---BUT I can understand that!--(there in the making $$$ bizness!)-Well I personaly think they should atleast MEET expectations!.I have done some searching & If you want it correct GET a swapmeet carb. INSPECT IT! & go from there,as your own hands will know what time it is.Also LISTEN to the Leading cutting-edge PIONEER carefully.& ask & READ!---IM still LEARNING sooo much that I was sooo wrong about before!& its because of this SITE & its SPONSERS & Moderators!,make it possible---not a bleeding heart here>just has been my exp. here---THANKS TO ALL---RICHIE
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Richie!

Immersion tests are only conclusive if results are immediate and obvious.
Leaving them in the same fuel for extended periods often only sours the fuel.

Exposure to constantly fresh fuels, and a variety of fuels, may give different results over time.

.....Cotten
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

LOOKS like a 40-degree day!--ILL empty the old & put FRESH GAS in the JAR!---Thanks----RICHIE

Return to “Linkert”