Choke plate adjustment

Linkert related issues
pan50head
Bikes: 1950 FL

Choke plate adjustment

Post by pan50head »

I am happy again, haven’t been for a while cause my panhead has been running like garbage. Several months ago, I removed the Linkert so I could test for manifold leaks. I found some which I fixed. After I put everything back together, it kept fouling plugs, it would stutter while cruising at a steady speed with no load on it, the gas mileage was terrible. So, I figured that since I plugged the intake leaks, it was running rich. I kept playing with the jets, but it still ran too rich. I am using a number 18 high speed jet. I thought I would put in a number 17. When I put in a 17 previously, it ran too lean and the engine got hot. Because I was at wits end, I took off the air-cleaner so as to install the #17 jet and discovered that the choke plate was about half a click closed. When I had the carb off when I did the manifold work, I noticed that the choke was not closing all of the way so I adjusted the choke lever to fix that problem. It is amazing how much easier it starts when I am able to fully close the choke. Anyway, because of that adjustment, the choke was just a hair closed. You wouldn’t think it would make any difference, but I straightened it out and the bike runs like a Rolex.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Choke plate adjustment

Post by Cotten »

Pan50head!

The choke cam determines the position of the lowspeed needle, so if the choke detente is not secure, (or if there is great wear upon the shaft and its bore), the needle setting will wander.

....Cotten

Return to “Linkert”