Linkert Problem

Linkert related issues
Dwayne-Goodtime
Inactive member
Bikes: 1961 fl

Linkert Problem

Post by Dwayne-Goodtime »

I have a 1961 FL and it runs but it seems to be running extremely rich. I adjusted the carburetor as instructed in the manual, 5 turns on low/2 on high. However, the problem is when I go to adjust the low speed needle. The manual explains to turn the needle in(clockwise) until the motor about cuts out then back it out, however, when I turn the low speed needle in my motor speeds up. When I back it out(counter) it slows down. I'm performing the adjustment with the motor warmed up and pretty close to fully advanced. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? Any ideas? The bike is stock.
1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Re: Linkert Problem

Post by 1962FLH »

I know you have checked this but if not check the float for proper adjustment and that it has no holes in it as this can cause the problem you are having also check the fule valve seat and pin.
Regards
John
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Dwayne,

There's other folks here that are much more qualified to comment on carb adjustment, and I'm sure they will chime in.

I actually had the same situation, and here's what I think is going on:

- 5 turns out is quite rich
- as you dial it in, you start getting to a better mixture and the engine speeds up
- if you keep dialing it in, you'll eventually get too lean and the engine will miss
- from that point, if you back it out 5 to 10 clicks, it should be at the right mixture

I've heard another school of thought: Instead of adjusting as above, dial it in until the rpms pick it up, and leave it there. It might be a bit rich, but maybe that's not a bad thing, especially if it's a new engine.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Dwayne!

The Manual settings are indeed quite rich, and the motor idle speed should speed up as you turn in the LS needle.

If it idles too fast, turn the idle speed screw upon the throttlelever out slightly to slow it down, and then continue turning the LS needle in slowly until the idle starts to falter, then back it out as Steve described.

When all things are in order,
initial settings can be 3/4 of a turn on the HS, and 3 1/2 turns on the lowspeed, and the idle will still start out rich.

"All things in order" means timing, and valve adjustments are correct (rarely an issue with hydraulics), and most of all, zero vacuum leaks.

I fear the Manual settings reflect that they tried to accomodate for leaks.

....Cotten
1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by 1964 pan »

Dwayne. I started a couple of threads called Calling All Linkert Owners Part 1 and Part 2 to try and establish a knowledge base for us Linkert runners. So much for that, huh? For me 3-3/4 turns out on low is best for my bike. 1 turn out on hs needle. As of now that is working for me. Each bike has its own likes and dislikes. I am still listening and learning. :)

Return to “Linkert”