Saddlebag Rails for '63 FLHF Duo

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
azpaul50
Bikes: *

Saddlebag Rails for '63 FLHF Duo

Post by azpaul50 »

I sorta asked about this problem last year but have learned a little more about the subject. My '63 has virtually all the correct accessories EXCEPT for bag rails. Last time I posted, there was some confusion because J&P listed some repop rails for '64 through '67....but not '63. They look a lot like todays classic rails but mount differently. It turns out that the correct applicabilty is '63 thru E67 so they were misdescribed in JP's book and still are. I now think they'll work. Meanwhile, I hate to put repops on my bike but never found a correct NOS or used OEM set for sale after years of searching. So... I got a used set late one night on eBay that is Buco or Beck or Superior or SOMEBODY that appears to be correct for the period but aftermarket '60's. This happened before I figured out that the repop would work so I was desperate. I wanted darn rails just like all the other kids had!!!! The rust spots even match my bike! The dang thing doesn't even come close to mounting anywhere on the bike that I can see BUT.... I OFTEN see them (same rails) in pictures of '60s thru '65's including Palmer's Resto book (on a '64). There might also be a chance that some '63s came with F1 and F5 packages with no rails but until I see that in writing I'll assume they did. Palmer's book isn't clear on that point. I'd rather have rails but not repops if I can help it. So, my question is... does anyone have a rail set on their '63 thru 'E67 that ISN'T OEM or have an correct OEM set for sale or trade? If not OEM but correct for the period, they should be like what I now have. If you have THOSE rails, how the heck do you get them on there??? None of the pictures I've found show enough detail to figure it out. I understand that I could fabricate some hardware to create a lashup but would hate to do that. That set I have came with hardware but it might have been for another type of bike. In a moment, I'm going through the gallery to find a pic that shows what I have and post that location. As alway, I'd appreciate any advise. Thank you. - azpaul (rail-less in AZ)
azpaul50

Re: Saddlebag Rails for '63 FLHF Duo

Post by azpaul50 »

Ahah! In the 1964 Gallery Animal one and Duoglide 62 posted pics of their bikes with rails like I have. In the 1965 Gallery, Barnfind posted a pic with those rails. Any of the aforementioned wizard rail installers out there? Thanks!
DuoGlide62
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by DuoGlide62 »

azpaul50, you might try checking out a thread called, 64 FL Funky Blinkers by Panacea. I think the rails you're referring to
are shown there.
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

Man! I couldn't have asked for better. Those rails are exactly what I have except that I don't have the rear bumpers, just the rails but apparently with all the hardware. What was throwing me was I have an extra long brace (bar) that doesn't seem to be part of the installation from what I can see in the pictures (which are excellent). It interfered no matter where I tried to place it. I'll try again tomorrow as I waiting for my speedo to come back from rebuild anyway. I can't get over how much panacea's bike and mine are alike (except mine isn't restored). I had the licence plate light bar on mine too but took it off because the lights weren't DH-49s. My old lady says mine looks like Liberace decorated it!

Uuuuhrah, Duo 62! - azpaul50
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

azpaul50 wrote:Man! I couldn't have asked for better. Those rails are exactly what I have except that I don't have the rear bumpers, just the rails but apparently with all the hardware. What was throwing me was I have an extra long brace (bar) that doesn't seem to be part of the installation from what I can see in the pictures (which are excellent). It interfered no matter where I tried to place it. I'll try again tomorrow as I waiting for my speedo to come back from rebuild anyway. I can't get over how much panacea's bike and mine are alike (except mine isn't restored). I had the licence plate light bar on mine too but took it off because the lights weren't DH-49s. My old lady says mine looks like Liberace decorated it!

Uuuuhrah, Duo 62! - azpaul50
azpaul50, Mines not restored either, original paint...Mike
DuoGlide62

Post by DuoGlide62 »

Hey that's great. Glad we could help. (thanks to Mike ) Post some pictures when you can.
Rick
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

It only took about a half hour to put them on although I now have two long bars about a foot long (each) and two 1- 1/2" inch angle brackets left over. I used to fix airplanes and it just kills me if something is "left over." You can't have that so it's ingrained in my gourd. So, when that happened last time I looked at it, the conflict was too much! I put them away, went inside, and watched SOA reruns until feeling better. That was a year ago. They look good but now that I've seen the rear bumper guard set (I don't have), it doesn't look "like Mikes!" Mike, original paint but is the chrome original? Jeeez, mine is pretty tatty. So ahhh, Rick... what did you end up doing with your bumper set? Hmmmm? Oh, the old lady has the camera in Colorado until the 23rd. I've got some bike pics without the rails somehere on this site. Sometimes I find them and sometimes not. You guys are great! - Paul
DuoGlide62

Post by DuoGlide62 »

Paul, I put mine away for a future project. Mine are missing some brackets. I'd like to find
a set for my Royalite bags . ie: 'bubble bags' , 'kidney bags'. etc.
Rick
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Gosh Rick,

I thought I gave you set of Dixies' for bubble bags years ago.

....Cotten
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

Mention of Dixie got me to thinkin'... I've got their '63 (for 64) Wholesale catalog. They don't have any rails in it whatsoever. So who made Rick's set (like mine)?
DuoGlide62

Post by DuoGlide62 »

Cotten, you did give me a set a long, long time ago. I think I ground one side in an 'incident'.
They weren't like the ones we're talking about though.
The picture shows what I'm looking for.
Attachments
Right.jpg
Right.jpg (432.72 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

Awwww, mannnn.... that's the same type of rails I just put on my bike! I've had them for a while. I guess they're universal fit. I had to take them off and do a little support bar bending yesterday but they're back on. They came with Guide 62? turn signals (amber) pedalstals which I'll put back on once I get some black/white cable wrap for the wires. Did you know that Speedway Cablewrap is only selling left over stock? No demand he said when I last talked to him. He's trying to find some left over black/white remnants for me as we speak. You helped me Rick, and now only to find out that I had what you were looking for! Sorry, man.
DuoGlide62

Post by DuoGlide62 »

The fiberglass bag rails used the same basic design but are longer than the Royalite rails.
"Shopping carts" lol
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

I see the difference now. The angle/cross brace between bottom and middle rail (that lines up with the top curved rail meeting the middle rail) is forward of the intersection on mine by a few inches. That's probably the difference in length.
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

Got the camera away from grammie, Rick. The dang thing was oozing grandkid pics... kindy sticky! Anyway, here's the first round of pics... might need a little more bending. Whatchathink?
Attachments
Panhead1.jpg
Panhead1.jpg (350.17 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
Panhead 002.jpg
Panhead 002.jpg (376.92 KiB) Viewed 2132 times

Return to “Accessories”