Jubilee Horn Mounting Plate....Is this a Harley Part?

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Jubilee Horn Mounting Plate....Is this a Harley Part?

Post by old1955 »

G'day,

This little plate has been bugging me. Is this a Harley part?
The culprit I'm talking about is sometimes seen sometimes not. It's a small plate that resides
under the two bolts that mount the hanging rubber section of the horn to the engine bracket. I always look when
there is a picture showing this section of bikes with Jubilee horns. I was having a close look at Felthamws 55
and I thought I could see it, but black on black is hard to distinguish. It is on a late 54 on page 183 of Palmers
book. I guess it could get left off easily. My parts books doesn't show it. Although there is something similar
for Big Twin springer type horns but not the same. I have noticed one on Mbskeam's bike too.
This may have been a repair kit, an extra or an update, I haven't got a clue.
Check the shot! This is a cut out from a shot that was uploaded here by FelthamW, I think.

Thanks
Pete
Attachments
Horn bolt link plate
Horn bolt link plate
Horn Bracket.jpg (83.81 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Jubilee Horn Mounting Plate....Is this a Harley Part?

Post by john HD »

pete,

i belive it is an oem part.

i have an old horn pack out in the shop that shows an imprint in the rubber where it would have been.

john
DaveSwanson
Bikes: 1936 VLH, 1936 VD, 1956 FLH, 1956 KHK,

Post by DaveSwanson »

My original 56 FLH has it. It is integral to the horn, not a separate piece.
DSCN0759.jpg
DSCN0759.jpg (67.35 KiB) Viewed 952 times
beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

Post by beets »

MY 56 is the same as Dave's. THere is no rubber in the mount, but the pieces are springy. I had a 54 years ago that had a rubber mount.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I always thought the originals were the thin steel plates stacked together and the replacement part for this is rubber because the plates were cracking. The plate you are talking about would help hold the rubber better than washers. So was this plate also used with the steel mount? The original steel type that was on my 59 had broken plates and was replaced with the rubber style. I think I still have the old assembly, i'll have to see if the plate is with it. I recently took my horn off. I figure I have taken my horn off and put it back on more times than I used the horn. Next time the tanks come off I will get that bracket off too and tuck the wires up between the tanks.
Perry Ruiter
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: ?

Post by Perry Ruiter »

The piece in question is a thick reinforcement that is typically spot welded to the spring steel mounting plates. My understanding is that the spring steel horn mount was used on rigid framed bikes and the rubber mount on swing arm. I don't know if that was an exact switchover point (maybe some 57s had rubber or some 58s had steel, I don't know), but certainly the rubber mount was factory fit not just a repair part. If you look at this factory photo of a 58 buddy seat it's clear the horn mount there is rubber ... Perry
Last edited by Perry Ruiter on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Wow. my eyes must be going. I couldn't tell you which style was on it!
4pans1man
Bikes: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Post by 4pans1man »

Old 1955,

Added 2 photos in the Gallery 'Miscellaneouse" section. 1 photo, horn is on my 1960 FLH, the other is a spare. Rubber mounts and no plate. Flat washers only. Looks like the rigid/swing arm theory might hold true.

Good luck, Tony.
Last edited by 4pans1man on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I removed the steel version from a 59 but these bikes have been around a while and a lot of parts may have been changed over the years.
old1955

Post by old1955 »

G'day again,
Wow! the input is great, thanks!
I think the Dave Swanson bike should be documented! What a gem!
First off, this has cleared up a lot for me, I didn't realize there were two different brackets
for starters. I thought all were rubber mounted.
PanPal mentioned that his 59 had an all steel bracket, which I guess is what Dave Swanson is showing me
in the shot of his bikes horn mount. Thanks Dave! (theirs that little bracket)

Well here is a mystery curved ball for you PanPal.

Last year I restored a 59 and it had a rubber mounted horn
gallery/image.php?album_id=1&image_id=1529
and the rubber section was still riveted to the horn rim. I checked it carefully and noticed all
the rivets looked the same around the horn, and thought they had never been touched before ( I could be wrong of course)
I kept the rivets

My 55 has a thick, say 1/4" piece of, like webbing mostly material based but has some sort of black sealing on it, I don't think
its vulcanized rubber. There is some things on my bike untouched. I don't think this is one.

That's an interesting shot you put up Tony (4pans1man) of the bike. That looks just like the same material on my 55

So the question of the little bracket is solved for me, the new question is, when was steel out and rubber in,
or did they booth run on the production line, depending on what was available, or was the rubber a quick fix that turned into
a production norm later on. Beets says he had a 54 with a rubber mount and has steel on his 56 same as Dave.

Thanks Perry I had a look at that shot. I hear you!

Another little Pan mystery.
Pete
Rivets I removed from the 59
Rivets I removed from the 59
dscf0006.jpg (109.85 KiB) Viewed 952 times
My 55 mounting
My 55 mounting
dscf0004.jpg (151.22 KiB) Viewed 952 times
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I found the steel bracket that I removed. It looks like it was cad plated unlike Dave's. I did take some pictures with my phone this morning but the pictures suck. My bracket still has the bolts (4) that were in it when I removed it. If the steel brackets were rivited also, then I have to believe it had been replaced at some point before I got the bike.

Perry thanks for that link to the 58. Interesting to see the primary screw heads, wire routing and a good shot of the spring mounts on the primary as well. It seems odd the way they routed the spark plug wires.
Perry Ruiter
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: ?

Post by Perry Ruiter »

PanPal wrote:Wow. my eyes must be going. I couldn't tell you which style was on it!
The steel version, where it's riveted to the horn, has a couple spring steel plates, a spacer and a couple more plates. The spacers allow the spring steel plates to sandwich the mounting bracket. The rubber horn mount doesn't sandwich the bracket and will be either in front of the mounting bracket or behind it. If you can clearly see the mounting bracket (as you can in the that photo) then you know you're dealing with a rubber mount. The shape of the rubber mount is also different than the spring steel plates. Lastly if you look to the lower left side of the mounting bracket you can see the reinforcement webbing (canvas?) in the rubber ... Perry
Last edited by Perry Ruiter on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FelthamW
Bikes: 1946 FL
1955 FLH
2005 FLHTC
1990 bastid wild child

Post by FelthamW »

Courtesy of Mr Chris Haines. I had questions regarding proper horn, horn mount, wiring, etc and this is what he sent me as correct for a '55. This is either a '55 prototype or an actual '55 model year photo.
Wayne
Attachments
Horn pic1 - 55.JPG
Horn pic1 - 55.JPG (116.61 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
old1955

Post by old1955 »

G'day Wayne
Yeah....very nice shot
thanks

So do you think it possible that some horn mounts for 55s
may have been the reinforced webbing.
It just came to me, that maybe it has something to do with the wiring.
if it had the steel bracket, you would only need one positive wire and earthing would go straight through
the bracket. I'll just check the wiring diagrams.(mine has two wires as it has the webbing)..................

No, the schematics all show two wires to the horn , including the radio specials.

Pete
early-timesmc
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 pan

Post by early-timesmc »

beets wrote:MY 56 is the same as Dave's. THere is no rubber in the mount, but the pieces are springy. I had a 54 years ago that had a rubber mount.

this is the correct setup for 1954. flexible(layers of canvas) came on the 58's.

Return to “Accessories”