Where to terminate spotlights?

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
62wild1
Bikes: 1962 panhead, 1999 Wideglide, 2008 Ultra Classic and a few other brands.

Where to terminate spotlights?

Post by 62wild1 »

Putting spotlights on my 62 and have them hooked up to the headlight spot on the board behind the headlight. Was wondering if they shouldn't be on their own position. I noticed a red wire near the bottom that looks to be free.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Where to terminate spotlights?

Post by john HD »

you are correct they get wired to the terminal with the red wire.

from there you can go to a toggle switch or have individual switches on each lamp depending on year.

john
62wild1
Bikes: 1962 panhead, 1999 Wideglide, 2008 Ultra Classic and a few other brands.

Post by 62wild1 »

Thanks John,

I'll hook them up now and see what happens if I can find someone to kick it over. Had the ole Gall Bladder hacked out yesterday................
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

You should have 2 unused terminals with wires going to them, Red wire from switch post 1 or 5 to terminal 10 usually used for running lights and Yellow wire from switch post 3 to terminal 20 used for parking lights. You can change the connections at the switch to allow always hot, hot with ignition or hot with lights on depending on how you want your lights to work. You can also use the power from your normal headlight terminal 9 (usually a green wire from switch post 2 and run it to a toggle switch for your spots. Depending on the year and model the Red wire on terminal 10 will either come from switch post 1 and be always hot or switch post 5 and be hot when ign. or lights are on. But again you can move it to suit your set up. There are also some unused terminals without any wires on the board, usually 11, 12 and 23. I use the bottom left terminal 23 as a ground. Since my headlight has 3 wires one being ground and my horn switch has 2 wires also one being ground I have a short ground wire going from my lower tree behind the headlight mount bracket and run it to terminal 23 and attach my light & horn grounds to it there. Hope this helps.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Wild1

That spare terminal on the board is ALWAYS hot as John said and that is where the factory or dealer connected the passing lamps. If you wire them direct to the terminal you will have to use the toggle switch on the back of the spot lamp to turn them on and off independently. They can be switched on even when the bike is not running. The factory accessory switch for the right handlebar is held to the bars with 2 band clamps and the wires are run externally so there is no drilling required for installation, its quick and easy and very reversable if you want to change it. That's the way the factory did it so it is also correct for appearance and judging. The switch connection is the same spare terminal on the board behind the tins, one switch wire connects to the board, the other wire goes to the spots.

mike
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

terminal board post #10, yellow wire, comes from ignition switch terminal #1, always hot.
this is the diagram from the Clymer's Manual, I'll see if I can find the factory shop manual diagram with the description of that connection.
mike

early-timesmc
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 pan

Post by early-timesmc »

hey johnhd,what years get a switch and which years run the toggles?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Here you go, it is earlier but might help. I'll look for a '60s one!
Robbie

Return to “Accessories”