Duo accessory fire extinguisher

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
azpaul50
Bikes: *

Duo accessory fire extinguisher

Post by azpaul50 »

While I was looking for the registration holder, I ran across a fire extinguisher I bought a while back. It is Harley part number 91623-52 (chrome). I also have a brass presto that is still full but it is out of character for that era (too old). I want to put the chrome one on with two brackets and it fits perfectly using the windshield bracket bolts in front of the tank but behind the lights. It doesn't hit anything when turing the front wheel. BUT does anyone know where this extinguisher was customarily placed? thanks!
azpaul50

Re: Duo accessory fire extinguisher

Post by azpaul50 »

I posted a pic of it installed behind the windshield in the gallery. I didn't want to drill any holes and it seemed to fit there perfectly with 2 brackets. Take a look and please comment.
fire_extinguisher.jpg
fire_extinguisher.jpg (28.51 KiB) Viewed 733 times
Red55FL
Bikes: 1955 FL on a 54 frame
2012 Heritage Softail Classic

Post by Red55FL »

azpaul50
My daughter gave me a book titled Classic Harley-Davidson for father’s day that has a picture of a fire extinguisher mounted on 1934 VLD police bike. It is mounted vertically on the right side of a rack that holds what looks to be a radio over the rear fender.
If you happen to go into a bookstore, it is on page 133. The book is by Herbert Wagner & Allan Girdler.

I remembered this thread when I saw the picture.

Red
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

Red- I really appreciate your response. Actually, I think a large(r) fire extinguisher was part of the basic equipment for police bikes back then. So, the installation location was accounted for in the design. This extinguisher came later...like the early 50's- early 60's and is a thin chrome affair, much smaller than the one I've seen on early police bikes. 91623-52 is the part number and it is like the brass "Presto" brand home fire extinguishers of the period only chrome instead of brass. I REALLY appreciate your interest and comments!!!!

Return to “Accessories”