Trumpet horn reproduction

Anybody else using a reproduction trumpet horn

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Trumpet horn reproduction

Post by DuoDave »

Anybody else using a reproduction trumpet horn? To look at the thing, you'd think it could double up as a foghorn on the Titanic, but when I press the button, all I get is a pathetic squawk. Sounds like a dying seagull. I've fiddled with the adjustment screw, but this is as good as it gets. Over winter I intend to strip the internals out and conceal a small LOUD horn inside. I am just curious to know whether I've got a dud, or if they are all this bad.
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Re: Trumpet horn reproduction

Post by dereborn »

I'm sure you checked the 6/12V compability? I once ordered a 6V horn, took it out of the box, which was stamped "6V" and mounted it. Couldn't understand why it would only sound like a whisper, tore it apart, adjusted, did everything...
when re-mounted I finally saw the stamp on the rear of it - yes, of course "12V"

Learning by doing, right!?
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

That's a valid point, Dereborn. I'm equally sure I did not check the 6/12 volt compatability! However, My bike has 12 volt electrics, so if the horn was the wrong voltage, it would be REAL loud: briefly!
Good tip though. I will make sure I check the voltage on any electrical stuff I buy in future.
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

spinning the power unit onto the trumpet too far before tightening the jam nut will also screw up the sound. make sure that the rubber mounts aren't putting stress on it at a funny angle either. I had the same symptoms with a 6V repro on my 64.

Return to “Accessories”