Ammo box saddlebags

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
dj

Ammo box saddlebags

Post by dj »

You can spend a lot of money on vintage or re-pop saddlebags, but for around 30 bucks you can have a set of super tough, water tight, plastic 25mm ammo box saddlebags that have a certain cool character....for a price that is right even on e-bay...you may be able to find these locally in the States and other places. Of course you wouldn't have to use them all of the time, and they seem like they would be easy to mount on a swing arm machine.

This kid made a computer out of the one of the boxes I'm talking about. Pretty cool...I think.

Check out his LED light set up on the sides. Possibilities there, I'm sure. Further down in his post, he has some really good shots of the insides with the lids open.
They may be a little small for some but the dimensions are 14"x14"x5".
Inside dimensions: 12"x11.75"x4.75".

I would paint them black with maybe truck bed liner stuff. And because they open on both top and bottom, when your ice melts, you could open the bottom hatch and drain it and wash it out if you wanted...Maybe not for everybody but hey, why not?
Any opinions?
kell

Re: Ammo box saddlebags

Post by kell »

If anybody finds a source of these ammo boxes or similar please post it here. They look almost indestructible.

I bought some vinyl saddlebags that the bottom seams tore out of because I put something heavier than t-shirts in there and the pounding it took from the rigid was too much. So I have been strapping a gym bag on top of the tanks for road trips. Solid saddlebags look like the solution.
dj

Post by dj »

Try here...$8.99 ea. minus shipping.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/cat ... atagory=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am going to give these a try.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

I’ve been running ammo can “bags” on my 51FL for the last two years. I used the steel mortar fuse boxes (M83-80mm I think) which are just slightly larger than the old 20mm boxes. I mounted them on a U shaped plywood frame that sits on top of my luggage rack, with wood blocks that fit between the channels for stability. The bottom of the “U” is bolted into the side car bracket hole in the frame forging. This set-up gives me an area below each can to bungee on small duffle bags etc and a good flat deck on top for the most important item, the beer cooler. I originally built it for camping and it works quite well, accommodating the needed items with out encouraging the “kitchen sink” syndrome.

This winter I want to convert the wood frame to bent aluminum for a more finished look now that I have worked out the dimensions and mounting points. I have been toying with the idea of using one side to hold a moderately hefty 12V battery for my planned 12V conversion. That would get rid of the hassle of trying to fit one into the oil tank. It looks fairly good too, reminds me of the old tube type radio boxes that used to be on cop bikes in the fifties. I’ll take some shots with the ‘lectric camera and post them.

King
dj

Post by dj »

Cool. Mounted on a rigid frame. Most people usually say old Panheads look like "one of them old police bikes" anyway.
Creative utilitarian modifications always interest me.
Personally, I wanted to avoid the metal style cans, but I can't wait to see what you've done with them.
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Post by Sidecar »

You may be able to find them at http://www.cheaperthandirt.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kell

Post by kell »

The "Fat 50" ammo can looks good. Both web sites mentioned on this thread have it.
Less wasted room in wall thickness than the plastic ones, and probably lighter too.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

I’ve been running ammo can “bags” on my 51FL for the last two years. I used the steel mortar fuse boxes (M83-80mm I think) which are just slightly larger than the old 20mm boxes. I mounted them on a U shaped plywood frame that sits on top of my luggage rack, with wood blocks that fit between the channels for stability. The bottom of the “U” is bolted into the side car bracket hole in the frame forging. This set-up gives me an area below each can to bungee on small duffle bags etc and a good flat deck on top for the most important item, the beer cooler. I originally built it for camping and it works quite well, accommodating the needed items with out encouraging the “kitchen sink” syndrome.

This winter I want to convert the wood frame to bent aluminum for a more finished look now that I have worked out the dimensions and mounting points. I have been toying with the idea of using one side to hold a moderately hefty 12V battery for my planned 12V conversion. That would get rid of the hassle of trying to fit one into the oil tank. It looks fairly good too, reminds me of the old tube type radio boxes that used to be on cop bikes in the fifties. I’ll take some shots with the ‘lectric camera and post them.

King
Hey King- Sounds like you have created a great setup. Have any pics? Thanks
dj

Post by dj »

Yeah! Let's see some pics!

Here are the ones I was talking about. I like the art deco look in the molding on these cans. I'm not finished with the way I want them to look. I found a nice set of vintage truck 4" marker lights with chrome rings and red glass lens that will fit into the diamond. The amber reflector/lights I have on them now will probably be taken off. I was thinking of using a Duo-Glide fender emblem....or a '55-'56 tank emblem ([edit]won't work) or a pair of moon eyes or something....on the top where the lights are instead. Or maybe I'll just run them with nothing on them at all, I don't know. Old holes are easy to fill because they're plastic.
I love these things. I thought of using one as a tour pak also, but I can't open the hatches up all the way because of my seat and rear light rack.
Yes......they weigh about 10 pounds each and the left one rubs the chain guard when I hit a bump, but its not too bad at all.
They are about as near as indestructible as saddlebags could get with the exception of ...fire...heh heh.

Yup....she's a rat.

normal_100_1431.jpg
normal_100_1431.jpg (52.43 KiB) Viewed 828 times
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Very nice bike.
I like the way the bags look on her.
Thanks for posting.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

DJ-
"Yup....she's a rat." ??? Where at ???

I dig the 'ammo-cans', they look kinda like cop-cans....

I've been using some bigger ones for other needs.. :) Very handy & sturdy ....

King I remember you saying long ago you were running steel ammo-cans. (might be where I got interested.)
dj

Post by dj »

Baby has an ugly side close up now!
Like some other 46 year old babes I know....when you get too close. :o

It's the distance ratio thing.

Not for show but riding only. :)

Return to “Accessories”