Scratched windshield

Is there a way to buff some scratches out of an old windshield?

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Scratched windshield

Post by PanPal »

Is there a way to buff some scratches out of an old windshield? Picked a top section up and there are no cracks, but just as many scratches. On coming headlights are hell! :-/
kr8
Inactive member

Re: Scratched windshield

Post by kr8 »

There used to be a glass place down the street from me. The oldtimer there used to swear Lemon Pledge furniture polish was the ticket for scratches in plastic windshields. I never tried it and he's gone now but might be worth a try.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Lexol, has a fine polishing compound, (light scratches) for lexan windscreens.
& a heavier compound for heavier.
Still must finish w/the fine compound..
Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

I had the same problem when I was racing circle track. Towards the middle of the season the Lexan would get so scratched from wiping it down that I could hardly see under the lights at night. I tried all of the cures to fix the scratches and finally gave up because no product did what it claimed to do. I ended up using Mcquires #7 before each race to reduce the glare and swirl marks.

If you find the miracle cure, let us know.

Kurt
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Vintage 'beaded' windshields and modern reproductions are cellulose acetate. The can be worked out with 2000 grit wet-or-dry paper, then finer and finer compounds with the result dependent upon your perseverence.

Modern Lexan shields, normally sans bead around them, often have a thin layer of a scratch inhibitor that doesn't like abrasives. If you accidentally buff through it, you might as well take a pressurewasher and peel off the rest of it. Then it also will buff with finer compunds and glazes.

When custom-cutting shields from Lexan sheet stock, I found that after sanding, a quick-cutting 'rouge' for buffing the edges was common kitchen scouring powder, like Babo or Comet.

One barnyard trick that I still use daily on my blast cabinet windows is a wipe of acrylic floor wax, like Glo-Coat. It can make a dramatic difference in visibility through damaged plastic.......until it rains!

....Cotten

Return to “Accessories”