Factory HD Panhead signal lights

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Sausage

Factory HD Panhead signal lights

Post by Sausage »

Hello:

Was 1963 the first year that HD offered Signal Lights as an option on the civilian Panheads?
I am looking to purchase and restore a Panhead with factory installed Signal Lights in lieu of retrofitting with Signal Lights with a new associated Dash.

Thank you again.
Sausage

Re: Factory HD Panhead signal lights

Post by Sausage »

Greg:

Got It. Thank you kindly. If I am understanding correctly
Ratman site indicates first year for Turn Signal lights is 1963 if I am understanding correctly.
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

Just picked up the latest issue of Greg Fields: "Original H-D Panhead"

I have looked in the book cover to cover for year number one of the factory installed signal lights on the Panhead. Still uncertain.
Six calls to Washington state dealers yeilded 6 different answers...........
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Accessory bullet lights were available long before the Panhead era. It's no great leap of the imagination to wire them as signals. I'm certain that many dealers were more than happy to offer the option.

If you are really concerned with authenticity, determine when the first flasher unit was offered with an H-D part number. That would nail down the blueprint year at least.
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

Ok, after futher reseach and with almost certainty I found out the following:

HD offered as an accessory on the Panhead in 1958 a turn signal system part numbered 68550-58. Beginning in 1963 HD delivered the Panheads with a factory installed Turn Signals of which differ in style than the 1958 thru 1962. I have never seen the aforementioned 68550-58 item in the flesh so I do not know if the dash is involved in the wiring. It looks like for me the year 1958 FLH is the one to purchase and restore. There existed earlier HD turn signal systems of which I will do research on and establish part numbers. Thank you all for your input and support!

Respectfully. Sausage

Return to “Accessories”