Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
wantapanrealbad
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Sight glass tube on oil tank

Post by wantapanrealbad »

List,

Forgive me if this topic has already come up, I did a serach but did not find it..

In some of the old Panhead pictures I have studied I noticed a "fill level tube" on the outside of the oil tank. I am guessing it was an aftermarket install or maybe the whole tank was aftermarket. In any event they look pretty cool and I imagine quite functional as well. Does anyone know anything about these?

Thanks,

Joe
59pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

oil sight glass

Post by 59pan »

the sightglasses were sold by HD and were in the accessory catalogs of the day. I finally found a nos piece that even has the instructions in the original hd box. I spent quite a bit for it just because you rarely see one and because i too thought they were way cool. when i received it i couldnt bear to install it so i just made one in my shop.

Anyway I can measure the exact dimensions if you want to make one of your own but they were made of lucite or some other hard plastic and have a tube down the center to register the oil level. nothing more than gravity feed through the bolt hole. it is mounted to the tank by a D shaped bolt that is secured by o rings and acorns.

I fabricated mine from glass tubing and brass bar stock. Let me know if you have any more questions. Ron
Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

59pan, can you post any pix?

Post by Guest »

one of these in nos condition was posted on ebay today. search panhead sight gauge.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Here is a pic:
Attachments
HARLEY PART #91830-54
HARLEY PART #91830-54
sightgauge.jpg (21.33 KiB) Viewed 938 times

Return to “Accessories”