Sergeant stripes and 49 fork tin: where to find

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
thsmith

Sergeant stripes and 49 fork tin: where to find

Post by thsmith »

Hoping you guys can guide me. I bought my brothers 1949 EL and most all is right except the fork tin has Hydra Glide stamped on it and it needs the sergeant stripes. ANyone know where to find these repopped or original ?

Thanks
Detroitblue

The Sargent Stripes

Post by Detroitblue »

Congrats on your purchase of a 49EL.

Welcome! you have just bought into to a very exclusive club, the club of vintage Harley Davidson Owners. We are a proud bunch.

That is a mighty fine peice American history you have your hands on.

I can help you out with your search for the accessories that you need.
First, just a little back ground on the parts game. There are only a few dealers and a lot of re-sellers. I don't know who all of them are but I can tell you that the re-sellers usually give a little mark up on their parts unless you join their gold club. So go directly to the dealer if at all possible.

Now days I almost exclusively buy from V-twin. They are a Dealer. They also feature a vintage catalog. But before I found out what was going on I got a lot of stuff from www.jpcycle.com who gets their stuff from V-twin mostly. And then when I can't get what I need from those guys I go to Antique Cycle who is a Dealer I think, but they are a small outfit and they take a little longer to deliver. You should definately order a catalog from Antique Cycle.

Detroitblue
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

Thanks Detroitblue. I am familier with V-Twin and J&P, I used V-Twin for alot of stuff when I built my 57 FLH about 14 years ago. I have ordered the new V-Twin catalog and I will search for the Antique Cycle for their catalog.

Tracy
Detroitblue

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Post by Detroitblue »

Okay! Okay! Okay!

You got me. I was doing a little head job on you. I really poured it on thick in order to make you excited about your new bike, however as it turns out you are a old veteran as you politely made clear.

With that being the case then I am surpised you didn't see those strips on the internet. However if you still haven't found them I can tell you exactly where I saw them at. I am sure it is the V-twin book but I will have to grab mine and look it up.

Injoy your bike

Detroitblue
SteffanK

Sargent Stripes

Post by SteffanK »

I am new to this site
I also would like a set of 3 sargent stripes for my 1949 EL
Cotten
Bikes: -

Uh,...me too?

Post by Cotten »

I also am in the middle of a '49 EL (for myself and not a customer).

Missing is my bottom right stripe.

Prices on individual stripes at Davenport were stoopid. I'll chew one out of an old car bumper with my bare teeth before I will pay $75 for one that needs work anyway.

Although I am a Tedd dealer, I have not inspected any of the T-TWIN repops yet. If they are satisfactory, perhaps some of us can get to together and split a set to our advantage?
Detroitblue

the Stripes are here

Post by Detroitblue »

Sensing you guys desperation I pulled out my books looked up that part for you all.

You can find them in the 2004 V-twin catalog on page 426.

Sargent stripe set includes 6 peices in stainless with attachement clips.
VT No. 50-1033 $199.86 set.

As far as price goes I am just so far out there that it dosen't matter any more to me what I spend. This bike is like going out with Pamela Anderson. If she needs it and I got the cash then I just give it to the fine chic. But I must admit that since I started this project I have had to cut the topless bars a loose. No more $7 beers and lap dances for Detroitblue Ha Ha Ha!
Last edited by Detroitblue on Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Sergeant Stripes

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Here's my input on the sergeant stripes, lessons learned the hard way. My '49 FL was missing the center stripe on the left side. As most of you know all six stripes are different and each one has its own parts number and they only used them 2 years; 49 and 50. Originals are scarce. After EXTENSIVE research I learned what Cotten did, going rate is $75 per stripe, if you can find the one you need. During my research I ran into the guy that (he says) had the last known complete NOS set which he provided to V-Twin to use as a pattern for re-pops. V-Twin does have them listed in the catalog, have you tried to order any?, last time I checked the re-pops weren't available yet. "Coming Soon" they said.
I couldn't stand it anymore, the Pan looked like a grinning hillbilly with a missing tooth so I paid the $75 and filled the gap. I found mine at Throttle Masters in Chicago, he's the guy that bought up all of Chicago's old Servi-Car fleet and runs a kind of old cop bike salvage operation, has a LOT of stuff for 45's and is a frequent ebay advertiser.
good luck with the EL
Attachments
Missing Stripe.JPG
Missing Stripe.JPG (120.82 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
joe
Bikes: 1947 Indian Chief
1956 Harley FLH
1985 Harley FLH Shovelhead
1986 Heritage Softail

Re: Sergeant stripes and 49 fork tin: where to find

Post by joe »

I know this thread is old, I am posting in case someone is researching sergeant stripes. I bought a set of the aftermarket stripes and they fit perfectly.

joe

Return to “Accessories”