Gettin too old, I guess

Transmission, clutch, chains and belts
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Gettin too old, I guess

Post by Schwee »

Been riding the same rigid pan, '57, since 1974. It's kind of a chopper, and suites me well, even though most of my riding these days is back and forth to work.
Problem is, some mornings, I just don't feel like kicking the old bastard. It "usually" starts on the first or second kick (after priming), but if it doesn't, it could be 10 or 20 kicks or more. Never discouraged me 20-30 years ago, but now some mornings I just jump in the old hot rod and leave the pan at home.
Sure wish I had a little starter button to push on those days.
I always figured that, if I won the lottery, I'd chrome my frame. Now I'm thinking that I'll also hire some young servant to follow me around on a Honda (or Sportster) and kick my bike for me whenever I'm ready to leave the bar, or whatever.

Guess I'm getting old. Also, I'm not willing to replace the pan with a late model.
Is there any reasonable way to put an electric starter on an old, rigid pan?
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Re: Gettin too old, I guess

Post by Hog54 »

This is a nice kit that I installed on a few friends bikes and the whole thing installs on the rear of the tranny mount.You do have to modify the inner and outer primary,but all and all its a nice kit. http://www.techcycle.com/panhead.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and Instructions http://www.techcycle.com/pdfs/paninstructions.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You do have to buy a electric start oil tank too.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

You might also look at http://www.evil-engineering.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

and another option, here is a thread about it at IMT http://knucklenutz.com/tech/viewtopic.php?t=1864" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

no mods to the primary.

john
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

Post by JR JOHNSON »

IF YOUR PAN COULD TALK,IT MIGHT SAY THE SAME THING YOUR SAYING! JUST KIDDING WITH RESPECT JR
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

john HD wrote:and another option, here is a thread about it at IMT http://knucklenutz.com/tech/viewtopic.php?t=1864" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

no mods to the primary.

john
russ's conversion is something to check out. i have been getting his updates since i cant remember when. very nice piece of engineering.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

A word about "Evil Engineering". The scumbag that markets this set-up stole the marketing rights from an individual that did all the research, developement, designing and engineering. The creator made the mistake of not filing for patent rights, and to make a long story short a court battle took place. The designer had an attorney that didn't know shit from gooseberry jam, and when all was said and done, the designer damn near lost his business he spent 20 years building, plus ended oweing the scumbag a bunch of cash. The person marketing this set-up is a thief, pure and simple with no regard for anyone or anything but himself. I wouldn't buy a cotter pin from this prick....bosheff
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Bosheff wrote:A word about "Evil Engineering". The scumbag that markets this set-up stole the marketing rights from an individual that did all the research, developement, designing and engineering. The creator made the mistake of not filing for patent rights, and to make a long story short a court battle took place. The designer had an attorney that didn't know shit from gooseberry jam, and when all was said and done, the designer damn near lost his business he spent 20 years building, plus ended oweing the scumbag a bunch of cash. The person marketing this set-up is a thief, pure and simple with no regard for anyone or anything but himself. I wouldn't buy a cotter pin from this prick....bosheff
Thanks for the info. seems like someone not to add to the list of 'reputable' dealers.

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”