Rocker clutches anyone?

I have been considering going with a rocker clutch set-up and the tank/shifter arrangement

Transmission, clutch, chains and belts
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
bibs
Inactive member

Rocker clutches anyone?

Post by bibs »

I've been considering going with a rocker clutch set-up and the tank/shifter arrangement. Does anyone out there have one on their pans and if so would you reccomend going that route? I think they really look trick .
1950bobber

Re: Rocker clutches anyone?

Post by 1950bobber »

Rocker clutch, though I'm personally not advocating this particular set up, is for pogo seat style riding due to the angle placed on the rocker clutch from the "tall-in-the-saddle" position. If you choose to place your seat more on the frame, such as in solid mount or on solo springs, opt for the "car style" clutch pedal set up. Yeah, it all looks "trick" but be aware you lose the left foot in a stop maneuver, to remaining on the clutch pedal while balancing your bike with your right foot only...theoretically you can place your foot on the ground with the rocker clutch set-up but I'm sure many a forum member can, and most likely will, warn against such as foolhardy sense of security! To each their own.....That's my $.02...NEXT!
Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

bibs, i have one on my 64 with the pogo removed. the angle changes i guess but i got used to it. i more push with my heel now instead of my toe. i don't know why anyone would leave the bike in gear and remove your foot, i am in the habit of going to neutral at stops. i have the police shifter that bolts to the down tube with a ratchet lid on the tranny. i have another pan with the mouse trap eliminator that i seem to ride more tho.lol
edit- sorry, to answer your question i don't have a problem with the rocker but thats what i learned to ride on.
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

bibs, The guys are correct about the angle changing with a lower seat. I just rotated the rocker bracket backward to correct the angle to my leg. The foot shift/tank shift can be fun, looks cool and really works slick if all is set up correctly. That means no clutch drag, smooth engagement and gate steps that match the trans gear positions exactly. Even then , it takes awhile to get realy gracefull at it. Of course they quit using them because there are draw backs- like a slow left turn take-off can be tough. Or loosing your balance right in the middle of a take-off. I kept the overcenter spring on my rocker to hold the clutch disengaged if I need to put my foot down fast.
1955fle
Bikes: 1955 FL
1973 FLH

Post by 1955fle »

I also have a rocker cluch/tank shift on my '55. I have the pogo seat and the works great once you get used to it. When I ride the bike a lot I can shift it as fast as my shovel. This set up gets lots of looks and comments like how do you ride that thing. Makes it all the better.
bibs
Inactive member

Post by bibs »

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! sounds like even an idiot like me can git'er down pat!!...with a little practice of course!!.I can never leave well enough alone...always gotta "improve" the old girl!!..well I'll take a look at the parts list and see what all is involved,shouldn't cost all that much!
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Please explain how you rotated rocker bracket back. Are you running floorboards? Also, in the normal position, the clutch rod almost touches the pivot cover when disengaged, would it not be moreso if the rocker were to be rotated? Did you lose any range of motion because of this?
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

Panfreak, First off , my '48 is a chopper with a solo seat on coils, a 10" over springer and a raked frame so that it sits level. What I should have said is, the "rocker rotation travel" has been tilted backward . the bracket is actually rotated forward on the back ? bolt and one new hole drilled in the bracket and has a suport rod over to the L F motor mount bolt. No floor boards . Originaly the point on the chrome pivot cover was beside the center of the front cylinder-- now it's beside the front generator terminal ! The front rocker pad used to rotate from about 7 oclock to 10 oclock full travel-- now it rotates from 9 to 11. But, only about 30 degrees of that is needed for a clean shift because the hole for the rod has been moved outward 1 1/5" from the rocker increasing the rod travel.The custom 1/4" rod has an "S" curve to miss the pivot and go up over the primary. The spring is hooked at the bottom center. I replaced the pads with pegs and Sportster rear footpeg rubbers. As they say, a picture's worth a 1,000 words . If your interested I'll see if I can post one.
rigid60
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by rigid60 »

I have a rocker on my 60 FLH. First time I rode it, I must have stalled it out 20 times in about 15 feet. Finally got the hang of it, but I still stall every now and then. Of course if someones watching, it's guaranteed to stall.
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Post by Sidecar »

Put the rocker on with the tank shift !!!!!!
Lotsa fun !!!!!
bibs
Inactive member

Post by bibs »

Man I'd sure love to see some pictures!!....um thinking if I do go with the tank shift,I'd make something trick that doesnt have the gear "slots"....or maybe the old cop type shifter where the mouse trap is.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

bibs-

The ol police style bolts to the frame, no hassle w/gate or tank..
Nice & clean..
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

are you talking OEM style, or a custom setup?
had my "stock" tank shift and foot clutch since I got this bike runnin in 93, and I would not ride it any other way.
on the evo build I have the shifter coming off the top motor mount, going to use a rocker clutch on this one also, traffic is just too heavy to do the suicide way(like a car)

tank shifting is fun...........

mbskeam
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

bibs, if i can get some pics(no camera) i have the cop shifter set up on my 64, i'll try to post a couple.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

bibs-

1978 FLHP Police issued Harley Davidson with "jockey shift" and "rocker-clutch"...
If the pic is further needed I will re-load it..
Have close up pic if needed.....

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”