Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Fastlane
Bikes: 51fl
66 flh

Need help wiring up cycle electric generator/ regulator

Post by Fastlane »

I am finishing up on putting my 51 basket back together. I purchased a cycle electric generator with bell end regulator this week to go 12volts. I wired up the bike with a replica harness and the diagram in the factory service manual. Now that I am going with the cycle electric unit I need to figure out the proper rewireing as the stock relay will be gone. What I did is I deleted the harness going down to the generator and the relay. I used the black wire and the red wire and the loom to make the new harness. I ran the black wire from the gen light terminal on the generator to the generator bulb on the dash and I ran the red wire from the generator batt terminal to lug 1 on the ignition switch. I deleted the green wire that went from the stock generator , out the other terminal on the generator and into the relay and back it to lug 2 on the ignition switch.Is this the proper way? Where do you suggest I now put in a circuit breaker or fuse since the stock relay is gone and I don't see any in the wiring diagram. Thanks
j**r**m
Bikes: 55 panhead, 64 panhead, 07 springer classic

Re: Need help wiring up cycle electric generator/ regulator

Post by j**r**m »

I hope one of the gurus can shed some light on this post cuz I am also up against the same dilemma
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

What color are the wires coming off the regulator? it should be pretty straight forward.
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Cycle electric generators only need one wire going from the regulator to the ignition or the battery.You connect your generator light wire to the generator terminal.You put a fuse in the main wire going from the regulator to the battery.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Re: Cycle Electric generator

Postby RussW » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:19 pm
From the instruction book which comes with the DGV-5000:
" WIRING- the DGV-5000 Series have two terminals marked "B" and "L". The "B" terminal is regulated power and can be connected directly to your battery or headlight switch (use 14 gauge wire). If a battery is used we recommend a 20 amp fuse or breaker between battery and generator. The "L" terminal is for your generator light. If you do not have a generator light, do not use this terminal."
This is how mine is wired, the "B" terminal is the one VERY close to the engine case (at 2 o'clock as you look at the generator end) and runs to my battery, the "L" terminal is the more "forward" one (at 1 o'clock). On mine, it has no wire connected since I have no dash light. The L and B markings are very faint, outboard from the terminal.
Fastlane
66 flh

Post by Fastlane »

Ok, I may have worded my question wrong. I know how to hook up the generator / bell end regulator. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have a problem removing the extra wires from the harness that will remain when the stock relay is gone.My main concern was if it was ok to delete the green wire that came out of the relay and went to lug 2 on the ignition. I just wanted to make sure that had nothing to do or affect any other electrical on the bike. Thanks
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

fastlane,
Please remember that the factory set-up for the dash light has one side wired "hot" when you turn the ignition switch on, it gets its "ground" (-) from the original relay. So, if your new system (terminal "L"?) provides a ground before the system begins to produce electricity (engine not running, switch on), then you should be OK as long as it opens that ground connection as soon as it begins to produce electrcity. If that is not the case you may get a dead short, which is not good for any of the solid-state stuff in modern "black box" stuff.

So, do not connect the feed to the dash light until you are sure what it provides (+) or (-) with both engine running and engine not running, switch on, and test it with a good ohmmeter first.

I hope this makes sense, DON'T fry your wiring harness or your high-dollar components, test it first!

mike
Fastlane
66 flh

Post by Fastlane »

Just the type of info I was looking for . Thanks. So the green wire coming out of the relay and going to the switch terminal 2 is a ground? Should I just ground the green wire to the frame and still run it to the switch terminal 2 ? I don't have an ohm meter and was hoping someone has encountered this and culd tell me how they ran the stock wires.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

fastlane,
NO! nothing going to ANY of the switch terminals on the ignition switch should go directly to "ground". If you connect any of the switch terminals directly to the frame, smoke will come out, and none of the results will be good, believe me!

The green wire, in an OEM circuit, is the power coming OUT of the OEM 3-brush generator going into the relay, which then feeds it directly to the battery. The red wire, on the OEM wiring diagram, is the power coming out of the relay going directly to the battery. The black wire from the OEM relay is what feeds "ground" to the dash "GEN" light. The other side of the dash "GEN" light gets its hot (+) feed from the ignition switch when you turn it on.

So, if the new 12 volt external regulator on the outboard side of that generator is only a 2-wire set-up, then the output (whatever color it is) should connect to the "red" wire side of the OEM circuit. If it has an indicator light wire then that should connect where ever the OEM black wire connected. You can ditch the green wire, it is only for the the original 3-brush generators and won't apply to your new system. Take a look at this diagram, if you have any more questions please ask, BEFORE, you connect everything and start the engine.

mike
Fastlane
66 flh

Post by Fastlane »

Ok, the above schematic is exactly how I wired up the bike, I used the factory manual. I will start my explanation again so I can explain better where I am confused. I am planning on using a cycle electric generator / regulator combo. The kind that only has two studs to hook wires up to, the batt and gen light. My question is with harness "b" in the above picture. I know the black wire will go from gen "light" post on the cycle electric unit up to the light on the dash. I know the red wire coming out of the cycle electric unit from the " batt" post will go to lug 1 on the ignition switch. Obviously the green wire the comes out of the stock generator and into the stock relay is deleted. My question is with the green wire that comes out of the relay and goes back into the harness and connects to lug 2 on the ignitin switch. My whole purpose of this post was to find out what to do with that green wire. Do I delete it when using the cycle electric unit or does it affect anything else that is also hooked up to lug 2 at the ignition switch. I believe I am making this way more complicated than it seems. I believe I have it hoked up properly after going back and re reading the last post.thanks guys
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

fast,

if you read the legend on the left of mike's diagram you will see it is part of the lighting circuit.

it goes from #2 on the switch then down to the switch terminal on a 32E or a model 52 generator. it's purpose is to energize the second coil in the generator to make up for the added lighting load.

so you can either tape it off down by the generator or delete it from post #2 on the switch.

john
Fastlane
66 flh

Post by Fastlane »

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Return to “Electrical”